X

Tach is not working HELP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach is not working HELP

Ok jumped on the bike last night took off and noticed the tach was not working no big deal i thought but i was on my way back to work so just went with it. Today rode back to work came home and started tearing into it but i am wiring illiterate i got the diagram out but can not figure it out the orange wire has power the ground is grounding but nothing on the black/red wire. I cleaned the conections and threw on another cdi and still nothing the bike still runs great full power but no tach any help i would greatly appreciate.

Philip

P.S. it is a 90 600
    1990 kat 600 sigpic

ok i pulled the side cover off and checked the pickup or signal generator what ever you want to call it and everything looked ok but still no tach any ideas?
    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

anyone is it common or possible for the tach its self to just die
      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

The tach is just a motor.
        Ground, power and signal from the CDI. The signal gen and CID are probably OK as the bike runs. Look at your connections.

Comment

is there a way to check if i am getting the power from the box to the tach the black and red wire thanks the orange and ground are showing power all the way to the tach

thanks
          Philip
          1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

So i cleaned and put dielectric grease in all the connections but still nothing any ideas please
            Last edited by Philskat; 04-16-2010, 03:22 PM. Reason: I can not spell
            1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

probably a stupid question: when you checked the tach wire to the gauge, was the bike running?

I would also try it with your meter on AC mode as well as DC.

Also measure it when the wire hooked up to the tach, as well as it disconnected. (tach gauge might have blown up and is shorting out the signal wire)

Comment

yep bike was running will try it on ac and dc again
                1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Ok so it seems as though the wire is good and getting signal so i guess the tach is bad itself
                  1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

I had the same problem. Tried to fix everything,,,wasnt the tac, wasnt the wiring.

I traced the circuit from the tach to the CDI and found it to be corroded. And then my gas meter stopped working as that contact corroded. The part ( 3/4) of the CDI cpu that wasnt corroded controlled such things as ignition and everything else that was still working. So I replaced the CDI and it fixed everything.
                    For sale thread Album
                    1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

allready cleaned all connections and changed cdi
                      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

When my tach got funky it turned out to be one of the screws that hold the wires on the back had come loose, just a bit loose too. But that's what fixed mine?
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                        Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                        R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                        1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                        RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                        3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                        Black painted seat and rear trim,
                        Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
                          I had the same problem. Tried to fix everything,,,wasnt the tac, wasnt the wiring.

I traced the circuit from the tach to the CDI and found it to be corroded. And then my gas meter stopped working as that contact corroded. The part ( 3/4) of the CDI cpu that wasnt corroded controlled such things as ignition and everything else that was still working. So I replaced the CDI and it fixed everything.
                          My gas gauge always reads on full, even when the bike is shut off. Is that what yours did? Where was it corroded? On the cluster itself?

Comment

Update got my new used tach from sporty_drew and i now have a working tach again
                            1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X