Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain and rear sprocket

hi every one
    I have an 06 750 katana.this is my 1st bike so bear with me 1st when
    do i need change the chain and spocket.I ask because i notice when i take off from a dead stop i hear a small pop in rear i guess its the chain
    looks a littel loose or do i need to lube chain.Oh my bike has 15500 miles
    i brought it used.also is it hard to change if that is the problem?
    ANY HELP PLEASE

If you have a centerstand... put the bike on it.

Then... in neutral....

Check how loose the chain is. Check for any links that are stiff or will now flex normally. Spin the tire and see if you can visually tell where/what the poping is.

This might help you to narrow down the issue.

As for the rest, check out this for some better info on chains in general...

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypz View Post
      do i need to lube chain.

Yes.

Chains require maintenance every, I think the manual said, 600 miles. Sooner if you ride in the rain.

For me it's not hard to change, but if you've never done it before you'll need the proper tools to do it and maybe someone to show you the way the first time around.

If you can change the clutch or do a valve adjustment, then I'd say you can do it.
      Last edited by squiggy; 03-17-2009, 10:30 PM.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        If you have a centerstand... put the bike on it.

Then... in neutral....

Check how loose the chain is. Check for any links that are stiff or will now flex normally. Spin the tire and see if you can visually tell where/what the poping is.

This might help you to narrow down the issue.

As for the rest, check out this for some better info on chains in general...

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Krey
        THANKS I DID WHAT YOU SAID AND NOTICE A LINK STICKING I CLEANED AND WAXED CHAIN NO MORE NOISE.HOPE I CAN RETURN THE HELP ONE DAY

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
        Yes.

Chains require maintenance every, I think the manual said, 600 miles. Sooner if you ride in the rain.

For me it's not hard to change, but if you've never done it before you'll need the proper tools to do it and maybe someone to show you the way the first time around.

If you can change the clutch or do a valve adjustment, then I'd say you can do it.

THANKS
        Last edited by johnnypz; 03-18-2009, 05:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
        X