X

Should I switch KATs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I switch KATs?

I have an 02 600 that I got after I sold my Gixxer. Its been great, reliable and very comfortable, but i think I need a little more oomph, to keep up with my bud that rides a Gixxer 1000.

a friend has a 750 kat that he wrecked with under 500 miles. the damage is not too bad mainly cosmetic, and maybe the fork (probably not). I can get this one for 1000 less that I paid for my 600. will I get a noticeable difference in power along with the almost new bike?

He has had it parked for about 2 years since he wrecked it and got scared. the wreck was at very low speed on a curvy road. he road it home and parked it.

It will probably need tires, battery, clean carbs, change lube and spark plug, and some body work.

Is it worth it? I'm kinda interested in the project.
    thanks

I would say take it to a mechanic and get an estimate on the repairs.

Comment

why noy just swap the motor??

Comment

The work doesn't seem too difficult if you're serious about switching, however I don't think the difference will be like night and day, especially if you're having trouble keeping up in the twisties where horsepower isn't what makes you fast. If you can't keep up on the straights, are they riding too fast?

I ride with a GSXR1000, R1, and ZX7R sometimes and have no issues keeping up on twisty roads. We ride pretty quickly but generally within our limits. I'm not the most skilled nor experienced rider. If fact, I'm the newest rider of the four. Maybe reading a book on sport riding would be helpful if you've never done so.

Don't take this as criticizing, I just don't know where your ability, his ability, and the riding pace stands.

Comment

Originally posted by midqetsex
          The work doesn't seem too difficult if you're serious about switching, however I don't think the difference will be like night and day
          +1

I don't really notice much difference when riding the 600 or 750 Kat. If you're really looking for some more oomph, consider going back to the Gixxer 750. The '06 is sweeeeet!!! If I rode more I think I'd sell my Kat and pick up the new Gixxer. Actually, if I didn't have I wife I think I'd have both bikes

She seems to think new accordion hurricane shutters are more important. Ahhh, she just doesn't have her priorities straight
          ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I think a lot of it depends on where you ride. If you live in a flat place, like Florida, the only way the Kat will make a reasonable show of keeping up is to put an 1100 motor in it. If, on the other hand, you ride somewhere that the top speed is dictated by the curves in the road and the gradients of the hills, the 750 may give you the extra torque you need to help keep pace -- but you are still trying to compare a bike with twice the output of yours and 100 lb lighter curb weight, which is to say it's unlikely to happen.

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
            She seems to think new accordion hurricane shutters are more important. Ahhh, she just doesn't have her priorities straight
            Just another excuse to park in the house.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I didn'y have trouble keeping up in the twisties and in the straights I am able to catch up eventually. The thing that kept me behind sometimes was that he was able to pass cars quicker. My kat didn't let me accelerate fast enough to get around some cars (safely), so then I ended up stuck behind them fer the next few miles. I wasn't trying to race him or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by lance
                why noy just swap the motor??
                +1

Comment

Why not bore out the motor to 813 and then swap it out...
                  Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                  Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Redline
                    I didn'y have trouble keeping up in the twisties and in the straights I am able to catch up eventually. The thing that kept me behind sometimes was that he was able to pass cars quicker. My kat didn't let me accelerate fast enough to get around some cars (safely), so then I ended up stuck behind them fer the next few miles. I wasn't trying to race him or anything.
                    when was the last time your bike was tuned up. seems to me just about any bike out there..well almost any has no trouble at all passing cars,unless the cars are traveling close to the same speed you guys are.....Also you can't loose in having two bikes can you?

Comment

Originally posted by Redline
                      What mods do you have on your Kat?
                      A little work (Ivan's jetkit, grind the exhaust header weld seams, ignition advancer) and a bit of practice dropping a couple gears to put your engine right at 7300 RPM just as you want to go out to pass (bottom of the most powerful section of the torque curve for your engine) should let you pass safely with no issues. If with those changes, you can't pass safely, then the situation is such that you couldn't pass safely on any bike and are cutting it way to close for comfort.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I ride the 750 Katana, which has a noticeably more grunt and torque than the 600. Considering, that it had at least 10 more horsepower it seemed sensible to buy it rather than to 600. However, if you are looking for a dramatic difference, you'll be disappointed.

If passing cars too keep up with your buddy is your game, CP has provided you with good advice. You can also put a 50 tooth rear sprocket on the bike (with a new chain and front sprocket). This will help with take-off acceleration and you'll be able to get into your powerband faster.
                        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. CP, i was trying to drop gears as you suggested and while I am not the worlds best rider, i improve every time I go out. I guess it could have been like you stated.. couldn't have been done safely on any bike.

I am going to check out that 750 this week to see if it is worth it. $2500 for an 02 with about 450 miles is tempting.

Comment

Remember the reasons that you like your Kat 600, that you mentioned above. Then basically add alittle more HP, and oomph as you call it..and you've got a 750. You can have just as much fun on a 600 kat as a 750 kat as a Gixxer 1000..if you ride to best of your abilities, respect your bike and your limits, and just plain have fun. The GSXR & the Kat are 2 different bikes designed for 2 different types of riding..each has their benefits.

Comment

I would consider this: the upgrades that CP mentioned should come out less then the price of the 750 plus the repair work you said it needed, and I believe you'd see better performance with a fully modified 600 then a stock 750. It also prevents you from having to worry about a possibly bent fork.

Comment

Working...
                              X