No announcement yet.
X

The Katana curse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 1990 600 Katana petcock is leaking in the res and on positions as well. What is the part number for the rebuild kit?

I feel you man, i just got the bike a few weeks ago and Ive been fixing it ever since, carb rebuild (wasnt running well at all) then i went to pull the plugs and the plug wire just fell out of the #1 plug boot and was all corroded. I had to fix the gas sender and run all new fuel lines bc the ones on there were too short. Then I couldnt get the carbs to sync, guy had the wrong plugs in it (hot type) and a K&N filter and it had an oil leak at the filter. I havent even driven it for over a month since ive had it and I still need to get my motorcycle license but I didnt want to take the test and I have 21 days after I get my permit to get my license so I wanted the bike to be ready to ride so I can get used to it.

Oh now the battery is bad apparently, only getting 9.8V at the coils during cranking and this is after I did the relay mod for the coils which was only getting 8.8V at the coils. I hope to be able to ride it before the seasons over
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

friggin previous owners!!

On my way home today the bike died on me. fell flat on its face in mid gallop going about 110 km/h steady. I laughed and pulled the clutch in and tried to get it started while rolling. I told it that it wasn't getting me this time, not this far from home.

I tried restarting, no luck
      i tried prime, no luck
      I tried choking with prime, no luck
      I tried choking with prime with a bit of throttle, no luck
      I repeated all of those things several times until the bike came to a stop.

I left the bike on prime for a good minute on the side of the road, the proceeded with the regular start up. fired up like a dream, put it back to RESERVE and it died!!

The needle is halfway thru the red at this point, and to my knowledge RES has never worked... until I switched it back to the ON position. Prime for a minute fired up and made it all the way home with no issues.

is it possible that my petcock settings are backwards?!?!?! Prime is the only one that works properly. RES and ON seem to be reversed.
      Last edited by badwithcomputer; 09-04-2012, 03:49 PM.
      -Brandon

Comment

check out my comment!

i had that problem and contacted michelin if its got less than 200 miles on it and you got reciept they will send you new tire.

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
          friggin previous owners!!

On my way home today the bike died on me. fell flat on its face in mid gallop going about 110 km/h steady. I laughed and pulled the clutch in and tried to get it started while rolling. I told it that it wasn't getting me this time, not this far from home.

I tried restarting, no luck
          i tried prime, no luck
          I tried choking with prime, no luck
          I tried choking with prime with a bit of throttle, no luck
          I repeated all of those things several times until the bike came to a stop.

I left the bike on prime for a good minute on the side of the road, the proceeded with the regular start up. fired up like a dream, put it back to RESERVE and it died!!

The needle is halfway thru the red at this point, and to my knowledge RES has never worked... until I switched it back to the ON position. Prime for a minute fired up and made it all the way home with no issues.

is it possible that my petcock settings are backwards?!?!?! Prime is the only one that works properly. RES and ON seem to be reversed.
          to my knolege i dont think you can reverse them. just using the lines anyways, as it is switched internally. ive never taken that style of petcock apart before so i cant say you did anything wrong. but if you "mixed" up the lines, all you would do is send the fuel for the #1-2 carbs to #3-4 and vis-versa
          if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Not quite sure what you mean, There is only one line that carries gas that comes from the petcock on my bike.

I think something internally must be a miss. My jets came in yesterday, so I'll need to pull the tank off tonight and I can take it apart then plus it leaks when I have a full tank of gas anyway.
            -Brandon

Comment

Does your petcock knob have an arrow on it? My bike isn't in front of my but I seem to remember an arrow that pointed to 9, 6 and 3 oclock.
              --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
              --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

yes it has an arrow and the fairings are labelled as well. I am thinking the previous owner put the petcock back together wrong. The only problem is, when you take them apart it's hard to really tell which way is which.
                -Brandon

Comment

I can't seem to find these plug patches anywhere locally! Oh well the riding season is coming to a close and my old tire should last the next 6-8 weeks or so.

I did manage to achieve my goal of 55mpg (imp) yesterday on a 2 hour highway trip!! +1 for the KAT!

After calculations I managed 55.2mpg over the span of a 200km trip. 5500rpms, tucked under the windscreen and steady, even throttle. I knew she had it in her, I know its not record breaking for a Kat, but for my Kat - it's pretty damn impressive considering i started at 35mpg on it's best day.
                  -Brandon

Comment

they are all over the ebay I recently bought a pack just in case

you can probably find other brands and sellers with better price/shipping to canada
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

If you have to use one of those patches be sure you take a wire wheel or at least a wire brush to the inside surface of the tire before applying the glue. You'll get much better glue adhesion that way.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I've been doing some searching for a rebuild kit for the petcock of my Kat, It's leaking like a SOB.

I called my local dealer. nothing
                        I did some thread searching and came back with some info that you can get one for the Pre's that will work with the Post Kat's but you don't get a new spring (which I don't need)

How can I go about ordering this rebuild? I check K&L's website but I couldn't find a single thing even relating to the Katana.

Thanks guys!
                        -Brandon

Comment

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

Comment

Thanks man. You forgot this...

-Brandon

Comment

I just ordered mine last night actually. http://www.ebay.com/itm/270805287652...S:3160&vxp=mtr
                              30$ shipped. motorcycle superstore wanted 31$ plus the ride.
                              1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                              fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                              55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                              R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                              Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

well don't i feel stupid. I stripped the bike down figuring i may as well clean the carbs and install the proper jets finally, removed the petcock looked it over, all four of the screws that sandwich the diaphragm were finger tight. I am hoping that's all it was but for precaution sake I siliconed a few things and noticed I was missing one of the rubber coated washers that attaches the petcock to the tank.

only a temporary measure until the actual rebuild kit comes in, the days are getting shorter and the temps are dropping fast, I cant waste any more of these precious riding moments.
                                -Brandon

Comment

Working...
                                X