X

drill bit and tap sizes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
    I bought a 1952 edition with unused cover and sales receipt at a yard sale for $3... The guy broke the spine in perfectly. Every page opens and stays open.. One of my prized books..
    I've heard tell the older ones contain some better information than the new ones. Havn't verified it as I don't have an old one to compare to. care to lend me yours? actually i'll just buy yours off you for twice the price

GOOD DEAL.

I've bought a bunch of old engineering and manufacturing texbooks off ebay, auctions, fleamarkets, and yard sales for peanuts. I love reading that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
      I've heard tell the older ones contain some better information than the new ones.
      That's pretty accurate. I bought a 28th edition and it had nothing in it about the thermal expansion of materials. Had to source an older copy to find the data and make the part. Stupid steel getting hot and swelling
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        That's pretty accurate. I bought a 28th edition and it had nothing in it about the thermal expansion of materials. Had to source an older copy to find the data and make the part. Stupid steel getting hot and swelling

That is because they hardly do interference fits theses days do they? They just add a few TIG beads to the parts to hold them. I would say the older editions contain more metallurgical data. Smelting to heat treating. I bet there is also casting. I also have a metal workshop manual from the 1900's.
        That one is nice. It tells you how to make sand casts for making wheels.

Comment

Just had to gloat. While not as much of a deal as Peter's, and a bit newer, I just scored a 15th edition to compliment my 26th. Information IS different between the two but right now I don't know how much different. This one is broken in perfect as well. MUCH nicer feel than my new one.

There is even a bunch of conversion charts and such stuffed in as page markers. all dated from 1954/5. like a trip back in time. Best ebay purchase yet for me

Comment

cool,
            Did I tell you about:
            "Modern Machine Shop Practice"? Copyright 1911 this is the 1919 Sears and Roebuck edition.. It describes how to sand cast wheels..
            I haven't really read it yet. But it's almost like a text book.. Got it at a thrift store I think, they are the best for old text books and such.
            Last edited by Black_peter; 03-11-2009, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              cool,
              Did I tell you about:
              "Modern Machine Shop Practice"? Copyright 1911 this is the 1919 Sears and Roebuck edition.. It describes how to sand cast wheels..
              I haven't really read it yet. But it's almost like a text book.. Got it at a thrift store I think, they are the best for old text books and such.
              I love reading old stuff like that. I've got a few old drafting texts, one on metallurgy, one on welding. Would love to pick up some old books on casting. I like reading the old texts cause they seem to sink in more. pure information, not watered down, or over complicated just to make the authors feel smart and change the rev number so next years students have to buy new to follow along. In some ways they are out dated, but in other ways I think they are more applicable to what I need them for. they show, and explain ways of doing things that is well within the capability of most home based shops. I have modern equipment available at work, but with my commute and long work days I don't want to spend anymore time at work than I have to. There has been more than a few times I've applied things I've learned from the old books to the way I do things now to make it more than worth the small price of some of these old books. The only downside is reading this stuff makes me realize I'm from the wrong generation

There are a couple good used books stores a stones throw away from my place, but some of the old books must be printed on gold leaf paper, as they're not worth the asking price (to me anyway, i'm cheap), and the owners thumb their noses when I start to haggle.

Comment

Bookmarked. Good info. Thanks

Comment

Thanks

Just snapped a spring bolt for my clutch today. This came in very handy Thank U

Comment

This is the standard conversion chart I have hanging near all of my machinists. If you don't have the exact drill required for something, frequently you can use a drill +/- a few thousandths of a inch.... that's .001" for the uninitiated.

Comment

This was an awesome find no more having to dig through my books or manually do the calculations. Thank You!
                      BDSCRPN

Comment

I have it posted at the work bench for quick ref and a copy with all the Kat info i've collected in a binder. Thanks
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          for anyone wondering, yes I do have too much time on my hands
                          More time on your hand equals more knowledge in my head

Comment

Working...
                          X