Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsistent Engine Cut Outs; Advice Appreciated

Hello Everybody,
    I am new to this forum! Yay me!

....and I'm having issues with my Katana, unfortunately. This is probably going to be a long post so bear with me, I will make everything that I've done/adjusted/cleaned obvious so that we can collectively rule out what could or couldn't be happening here.

Let's begin.

Problem: Every once in a while, my bike starves itself of fuel. I feel it in the throttle that something seems less punchy, then a few moments later... I am on the side of the road and the engine has shut off. It behaves like it simply has ran out of gas... but it isn't.

I can ride for hours on the highway, backstreets, anything... and it won't happen. Then all of a sudden... the engine says "nope" and dies. AND, after it happens once, it likes to continue to happen every few miles. So it dies, I restart, ride again for a bit, dies again... etc

Most of the time, I feel it start to bog down... then try to give it gas, and it doesn't want to go forward. If I pull in the clutch to coast at this time, it will just RPM down and down until it stalls. If I continue without pulling the clutch, it will just run slower and slower until it dies.

This *normally* happens when...
    1) The tank is only half full or less. I've never had this occur on a full tank, but that doesn't mean it can't I suppose, see #2
    2) The bike has been riding for a while (so my tank is no longer full).. I've never had this happen when I just start it up and get going.
    3) I'm taking it easy. When I'm out pushing the limits a bit and getting heavy on the throttle often.. I've never had this happen. It seems to occur when I'm riding casually at normal RPM range (4-6k, no higher). This of course may just be coincidence.

Notes about my bike:
    2000 Suzuki Katana 750cc version. Had it since March, have put many thousands of miles on it. It sat for a long time before I bought it, so I put a lot of work into it as expected to get it running well. This starvation issue has only started happening within the last few weeks.

Things that seem to not help or hurt the problem:
    1) The type of gas 87/93 doesn't matter (just figured I'd throw that out here)
    2) Petcock setting - even in prime/res, still will happen.
    3) Idle adjustment - even if I adjust it high/low... doesn't matter
    4) Switching petcock during riding. If I feel it start to bog, I'm quick enough to switch to prime to let some fuel flow... still won't help, dies

Things I've done in the past few months
    1) Carbs cleaned. Fully. And sychronized, A/F adjusted.. etc... With the help of a very experienced mechanic. But of course, I'm not ruling them out.
    2) Oil of course changed multiple times as well as filter.
    3) Brand spankin' new spark plugs in there.
    4) Lubed throttle cables.
    5) Drained tank and cleaned petcock.

(Probably) unrelated stuff: new battery, brake pads, tires, chain... ran some seafoam through the tank a few times just to make sure carbs stayed shiny and happy.

Things I've done attempting to solve this problem:
    1) Took a look at the throttle cables and readjusted the idle.
    2) Drained the tank, ripped the petcock apart and cleaned.
    3) Rebuilt the engine cut off switch - I figured if that thing was glitchy, it could cause something like this. Didn't help.
    4) Swapped the battery just to make sure electrics were all good.
    5) Cleaned tank vents/rebuilt tank cap, replaced ALL vent lines
    6) Replaced ALL tubes. Vacuum lines, as well as the gas line.
    7) Replaced fuel filter.

At first I assumed that this problem was electrical - so I checked the kickstand diode system as well as the engine cutoff switch as I mentioned above. Even changed the battery out and checked most connections... everything seems locked in and electrically sound.

Then I figured it was the carbs.. but.. like I mentioned, I can ride all day and the thing performs very well. Super smooth, throttle is responsive, carbs seem to be doing their job on point. Some days the problem will not happen at all. I was out riding for most of the afternoon the other day and... not a thing went wrong.

A couple of questions I have:
    1) The engine oil pressure light always comes on when I shut off the bike using the cut off. It is also always on before I start the bike. Is this normal? I assume it is like a car dash where the lights just come on for all the warnings before you start it. I ask the question because when the bike stalls/starves like I've described, the engine light also comes on. This is why I originally looked into the cutoff switch. But if the cutoff switch doesn't actually make that light go on... then I suppose that may be my problem. Just making sure.

2) Could a head gasket leak cause this? Mine has been pooping out grease very slowly for the past months (I put in synthetic oil so I assume that is the main factor), but it has not made much of a mark yet for me to rip it apart and reseal the gasket.

3) Can somebody quickly explain to me how the clutch cable can effect the starting of a bike? I searched around before posting and found this guy who mentioned:
    Originally posted by war113 View Post
    Except the clutch cable wasnt adjusted correctly so It didnt start easily.I fixed that.
    How can I check for this? My clutch sometimes feels like the tension is different / more fluid than the last ride. It is an oil filled clutch so I assume that this has to do with the temperature of the fluid... but maybe I am wrong. Or, when I get off of the highway, the clutch feels a lot better. I assumed this was because of the RPMs I was just riding at got the oil moving and nice and viscous. If my understanding is wrong here just correct me.

Alright. And the final section of this book I've written here,
    Where am I at now and what are my personal thoughts about this???

1) I'm convinced it is not the petcock or tank. All the lines are new so there's no way anything is stuck in fuel line or something. And something like that would cause more frequent problems.
    2) I honestly don't think it is something electrical. All the lights and such stay on when it starves out.

The bike has always had a little trouble starting, even in the hot weather of Florida down here. I choke it (more like half-choke) every morning to get it going. After it warms up for honestly only about a minute, idles perfect. The bike also tends to smell a bit like gas, but nothing major.

I have a suspicious feeling it has to do with the clutch, because that is really the only thing I have not looked at.

But open to advice of course. I'm sure somebody can piece together all these factors, but I am so far at a loss due to the problem's inconsistent nature.

Thanks.

Last edited by skdj; 06-17-2017, 03:56 PM.

Petcock flow issue or kinked fuel line when the engine heats up.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That's why I cleaned out the petcock and replaced the fuel line. It is happily underneath the tank, not forced or kinked. Petcock is clean... and problem persists even on prime which eliminates the vacuum and lets fuel just flow in.

Comment

Check your voltage at the coils when the starter is turning the motor over. Need a min of 11v for a good cold start. That may be the starting issue.

I didn't notice if you had checked the tank lid vent. If you recreate the issue, open the tank lid to see if it makes a difference. A loud change in pressure from the tank would be a clear suggestion that there is a blocked vent in the cap.

Have you opened the petcock to verify it's not partially clogged or has a hole in the diaphragm? I'd check that.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Check your voltage at the coils when the starter is turning the motor over. Need a min of 11v for a good cold start. That may be the starting issue.

I didn't notice if you had checked the tank lid vent. If you recreate the issue, open the tank lid to see if it makes a difference. A loud change in pressure from the tank would be a clear suggestion that there is a blocked vent in the cap.

Have you opened the petcock to verify it's not partially clogged or has a hole in the diaphragm? I'd check that.

Krey
          Yeah I originally did that for a few times. I figured there was pressure in the tank - actually about a week after I got the bike, the gas in the tank boiled on me, so I went in and cleaned out the vents and the cap vent too, that was a while ago (and that fixed the issue, no more boiling gas). I have recently cleaned out these same parts again.

When it starved recently I tried to ride with the cap open to see if it would help. It didn't.

Also. The tank cap makes a good 'pop' noise when I open it, but it doesn't sound like its creating a powerful vacuum, or anything different than normal when I pop it open when the problem didn't happen.

And yes I have opened up the petcock. It was not clogged.

Comment

It could be a flooding issue...or your running hot causing the fuel in the carbs to boil. What are your header temps?
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              It could be a flooding issue...or your running hot causing the fuel in the carbs to boil. What are your header temps?
              Hmm.. if I was running hot, what could I do to adjust the temps downwards?

I do not have a way to measure the temps unfortunately.

Comment

IR thermometers are fairly cheap these days. Jet kit would help as well as setting the A/F screws to 2.5 turns out-give or take.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                X