X

aftermarket fairings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aftermarket fairings

hey fellas ive got a little problem and i would really like some help. i bought a set of fairings on ebay for my 02 katana. the fairings are the 03-06 style, its supposed to fit the 98-06 im having trouble getting it to line up with the side fairings.i was able to get the front around the headlight and mirrors in but around the tank and back to where the tail meets is way off. same with where the lowers bolt on. anyone else run into this problem or could help...please

post some pics so we can see what the problem is

Comment

Originally posted by johna600 View Post
      post some pics so we can see what the problem is
      +1

You wouldn't ask Ray Charles to help, would you? Relieve our blindness, and we'll be happy to help!
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by shnarb View Post
        hey fellas ive got a little problem and i would really like some help. i bought a set of fairings on ebay for my 02 katana. the fairings are the 03-06 style, its supposed to fit the 98-06 im having trouble getting it to line up with the side fairings.i was able to get the front around the headlight and mirrors in but around the tank and back to where the tail meets is way off. same with where the lowers bolt on. anyone else run into this problem or could help...please
        Dremel and lots of Elbow Grease. The aftermarket fairings will not fit out of the box (as you are probably well aware). Sounds like you have already put the mirror back on, if so, you may want to keep them off until the end. (I installed the sides first, tail, then lowers and the front was dead last)

If you post a picture, it may be easier to see where the problem is.
        OldYella
        2002 Katana 600

My Katana Project
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103012
        sigpic

Comment

ive got pictures but im kinda new...dont know how to load them up

Comment

Load them to Photobucket and then use the link button to post.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

If it's any consolation to you, and I hope that it is...I had a hard time getting my original fairings back on after removing them, so don't be disheartened. I finally got them back on by attaching different points loosely, then tightening one and then the other a bit at a time until they were somewhat snug. (an 06 750) But there was still a bolt left over.

Spraguepsycho told me just yesterday that bolts left in a dish or pan too long reproduce, so that explained it. I wish you luck. My Kat fairings just never went back on easily. Just the nature of the beast.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

.. ahh so that is where all those extra bolts come from
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

http://s564.photobucket.com/albums/ss81/shnarb/ heres the link to the pictures i couldnt figure out how to post them directly.

Comment

and ive got another question. does the throttle cables go around the outside or inside of the brake line?

Comment

In general, fairings will sometimes have a tendency to increase the curvature... this will draw up either end and make it seam like they are too "short" from front to back, etc... Pressing in the center to "flatten" them out a little will give you that extra 1/4" or so to fit the screws.

or... you can oblong the holes so that you can just put the screws in with out pressing on the fairing.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i got it. thanks so much. i wouldnt have believe it would flatten out that much. thank you soo much

Comment

as far as the rear fairings, i believe the 03-06 uses a different part number for the battery box/storage area
                          here is the link for the 98-02: http://www.bikebandit.com/2001-suzuk...m6166sch242308
                          and for the 03-06: http://www.bikebandit.com/2003-suzuk...m6168sch505258

they are two different part numbers. i just changed my tail from the 98-02 to the 03-06. if you don't want to buy the new fender, it will only take a few dollars and a trip to lowe's. pm me if you want details.
                          R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                          X