Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Project 1988 Kat 1100F... lots of questions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project 1988 Kat 1100F... lots of questions...

Hey all, new to the forum as I am a first time Kat owner...

My Kat is the 1988 GSX1100F and it doesn't appear to be in bad shape. It is the project/toy bike for my son and I. Don't have a lot of $ to put in it, and since the kid is still in learning mode when it comes to street bikes I figure it will be put through hell in the next year. A pic will be put up as soon as I get a chance.

BTW, I am also new to being a sport bike owner. Have ridden them off and on through the years, but never owned one. I ride a '90 Heritage Softail as my main form of transport (20k+miles per year.) So I'm not new to bikes or some basic wrenching.

First my most pressing issues:
    1) It has some electrical issue that if it were consistent I believe I would know what it was, but it isn't. I have ridden it several days to work ~20miles each way, and have even made a stop or two during the day without problems. However, twice now I have taken a ride, gotten stuck in some traffic, made several stops and all of a sudden when I'm running down the road the tach starts jumping all over the place,and then drop to 0 and stay there, which is the first noticeable symptom. Then after another 2-4mi the bike dies and has NO POWER at all. I haven't had a meter with me when it does this so I haven't been able to do any troubleshooting as it is occurring. But if I jump the bike at that point it starts right up and it is as if nothing happened, in fact by the time I got home the battery was back up to 12.2. If this were happening consistently I would start looking to the charging system, but since it doesn't I'm not sure where to look. The engine temp doesn't appear to make a difference because I have let it run standing still, started and stopped several times, and let the engine get good and hot and it didn't reproduce the problem.

2) Does anyone have any recommendations for mirror replacement with no modification? Aftermarkets available?

3) One of the front blinker lenses is broken, is it cheaper and easier to change both sides to something different, or does anyone know a good resource for those lenses?

The other issues are things that I think I will want to work on over time, but are not as pressing as the bike will be completely rideable without them.

1) Windscreen is completely oxidized, replacement appears expensive, any one have luck with refurbishing like can be done with car headlights?

2) Eventually (once I'm fairly comfortable the kid isn't going to just drop the bike,) I would like to freshen up the plastic. Any good (read cheap) resources? Would I be better off just having a friend shoot the existing plastic, even with scratches?

I think I have asked enough for my first post...

Im a pro detailer by trade, and would be happy to help you out on the windshield. If you covered the shipping costs I wouldn't charge you anything to clear it up for you. I do that kind of stuff every day.
    If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

Mirrors and windscreens are common problems.

For the windscreen I belelive mojoe had very good luck using a rubbing compound on then, and probably did a thread on it. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73573
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Mirrors and windscreens are common problems.

For the windscreen I belelive mojoe had very good luck using a rubbing compound on then, and probably did a thread on it. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73573
        That is what I did to mine, 4 hours later and sore arms you can see through it.
        Could have used a drill, but what is the fun in that?

As for electrical have you gone over all the connectors and made sure they are clean/fully clipped in?

Are the battery terminals clean along with cables?

Also try to zip tie the kickstand switch to rule out a stuck/faulty button.
        MAKE SURE YOU PUT KICKSTAND UP - Not saying you are stupid, but it happens to a lot of people for some reason.
        '88 GSX1100F, '89 GSX1100F No engine atm, '92 GSX1100F

Comment

This is what I use for polishing bikes, doing headlight/windscreen restorations, or anywhere that my big machines can't get into. Not the most powerful thing I've ever used, but an invaluable piece of equipment for someone in my line of work.
          Griot's G8 Mini Random Orbital Polisher - The smart handling orbital polishing perfecter! Looking for a quick and versatile polishing tool that can make its way to those hard-to-reach panels? Look no further than the Griots Garage G8 Random Orbital ...
          If it aint broke fix it till it is

Comment

As for the electrical, it's possible your CDI box is acting up although that's not common. Reason why I'm jumping right to the CDI is that the tach runs off the coil signal which comes from the CDI. It's not the battery or charging system because then the problem would duplicate. I don't think it's the kickstand switch because of the delay between the tach going haywire and the engine stalling.

Next time it stalls on you, pop the seat and see if the CDI box is hot. Might also want to disconnect the tach to see if that makes the problem go away. Possible there's something going on with the tach that's killing the coil pulse.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
            X