X

Katana-ish SS Bike Recommedations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana-ish SS Bike Recommedations

So I've had the kat a few months now and have put a ton of miles on it (verging on 6k). Regardless of the lectures, I'm strongly considering an upgrade. I'll be selling my cage and going 100% bike 100% of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Kat, and sorely regret not getting the 750. If I could do it all over again, I'd do the 750. But I don't feel like going through the hassle of getting rid of the kat only to get the same bike again. Worse comes to worse, I'll just keep the Kat600.

Here are the facts. . . I love the comfort of the kat and the size. If the pegs were a little lower, I'd be even happier, but that'll probably come with a bigger bike. So can anybody give me any detailed reviews of a bike that would fit the criteria. I looked at the 'Busa and it was just not as comfortable, and AFAIK, it's the closest thing to a SS Kat. I'm looking for 750-1300 CC's, no cruisers, and something that is ideally a little lighter as to be more maneuverable. If there was a storage compartment as good as the Kat's that would be awesome. Any suggestions?
    WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Originally posted by djct_watt View Post
    So I've had the kat a few months now and have put a ton of miles on it (verging on 6k). Regardless of the lectures, I'm strongly considering an upgrade. I'll be selling my cage and going 100% bike 100% of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Kat, and sorely regret not getting the 750. If I could do it all over again, I'd do the 750. But I don't feel like going through the hassle of getting rid of the kat only to get the same bike again. Worse comes to worse, I'll just keep the Kat600.

Here are the facts. . . I love the comfort of the kat and the size. If the pegs were a little lower, I'd be even happier, but that'll probably come with a bigger bike. So can anybody give me any detailed reviews of a bike that would fit the criteria. I looked at the 'Busa and it was just not as comfortable, and AFAIK, it's the closest thing to a SS Kat. I'm looking for 750-1300 CC's, no cruisers, and something that is ideally a little lighter as to be more maneuverable. If there was a storage compartment as good as the Kat's that would be awesome. Any suggestions?
    VFR
    blackbird
    zx14
    all of which you can mod for comfort. A set of helibars or bar risers will do wonders for seating position. Same thing goes for adjustable rearsets. I know some of the taller busa guys are using buell pegs in order to lower the foot position a bit.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
      ...some of the taller busa guys are using buell pegs in order to lower the foot position a bit.

Interesting. Hadn't heard of that.

VFR is the first bike that comes to mind, but the Blackbird is a good choice, too. Since you're a SoCal bro I say that because I've seen a XX offered on Craigslist a little while back. Been listed before... I guess no takers. Looked pretty clean. Nero or Zepp will give you a good review about how the 14 handles in heavy traffic (you know where we live ).
      sigpic

Comment

I have an 01 R1 that is extremely comfortable... Ergos are way better than any of the new SS's... You have way more seat to move aroud on if you need...

also new gsxrs have adjustable pegs... just a thought.
        Last edited by allblackkat; 07-09-2008, 04:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Or you could by four 250s and be done with it. I can see allblackkat green with envy.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
            Interesting. Hadn't heard of that.

V
            Apparently the buel pegs will drop the foot position by about 1" without changing the clearance. As you know the Busa pegs are very thick.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Suzuki RF900 (I hear parts a getting scarce though) - Discontinued way back

Triumph Sprint 955 or 1050 - 955 Discontinued

Triumph RS 955 - Discontinued

Aprilia Futura - Discontinued

Ducati ST 3 or 4 - Both Discontinued

Yamaha YZF600R (It supposedly puts out a goodly amount of HP, has fully adjustable suspension, yet lacks gas gauge) - Discontinued

Yamaha FZ1 - Into its 2nd generation - 1st generation discontinued.
              Last edited by squiggy; 07-09-2008, 10:30 PM.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

bandit.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

FZ1, or VFR would probly be my choice.
                  Some days your the bug.....Some days your the windshield.

Comment

Going to a Honda dealer tomorrow to check out a VFR!

Comment

You know, having owned both a Bandit and a Sprint ST, I considered recommending both, but decided they did not fit all your criteria (weight being the biggie.) Only advantages they have over your Kat600(at least the things you mention) are bigger motor and more upright riding position.

So I find myself in the rare (for me) position of NOT recommending either of them.

Won't Marc (Cyberpoet) be suprised?
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I'd go for the Blackbird. I have loved those things...since weed was grass

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

honda 919, though discontinued, shouldn't be a problem for years and years and years. powerful, lighter than its competition, more upright position.

sorry shameless plug there.

not discontinued bike...vfr......though i hear the new bandit is nice as well. or bking!!! of course with some after market pipes.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Yeah, in all likelihood I will keep the kat, sell the car.... But I'll be exploring some options. Unless I'm 100% in love, I won't make the jump. I was looking at 919's but haven't run into for sale yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                              Or you could by four 250s and be done with it. I can see allblackkat green with envy.

hes tellin him to get a piano after all the trouble hes had with his.

Comment

Working...
                              X