X

Decal Removal / Paint Question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decal Removal / Paint Question.

Ok guys, Over the past two days I have been removing all the stickers from my 06 Katana. I was able to get all of the warning stickers and residue off. But when I removed the "Katana" decals there was a fair amount of residue left behind. I tried nail polish remover, goo gone, decal and adhesive remover and hours of heating/scrubbing with a blow dryer and cloth with each of these applications and after about three house I had made very little progress.

So, I finally got fed up with it and used a fine rubbing pad and was able to get all of the residue from the decals off. Now where the decals where the paint looks faded. I guess the rubbing pad had removed some of the clear coat.

My question is this. What can I do to bring the shine back where the stickers where? I tried some basic car wax and it didnt help any. If I wipe the area with WD-40 or an orange based oil it looks AMAZING, but when it dries or is wiped off the area is faded again.

Thanks,
    -Nik

Sorry bro but it sounds like you may have to get a paint shop to repaint your fairings.

Comment

You need to use a fine buffing glaze and buff out the haze/scratches. I would suggest doing the entire bike as you will be able to tell a difference of spots done/not done.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I went out and bought some Turtle Wax Color Back, and it restored about 90 ~ 95% of the color. Its still kind of noticeable when you have your face next too it but its fine for right now since the fairings have some small scratchs anyways.

What should I expect to pay to have both my left and right fairings repainted? Anyone know the OEM suzuki maroon color code?

Thanks,

Comment

Use a foam polishing pad on a drill and it will bring back the shine. A good polish also is a must.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I must have gotten lucky. I removed mine in about 3 hours. Just used a hair dryer and a paper towl to rub the goo off. Good luck!
            2002 GSXF Katana 600- Sold
            2004 GSXR 600

Comment

the cost of painting depends entirely on how much work the paint shop has to do. Do a couple of net searchs on prepping plastics for paint and do your best to get it ready yourself so the shop doesn't have to. the 3-4 hours of prep work they don't have to do will save you alot of money. shop rates vary by area, and even though there repuation is horrible in my area, and kind of a joke in the bodyshop world of canada, when it is all prepped go to macco. The reason people hate them here is because they don't do the prep work properly, or really at all for that matter. but if you do it they can shoot a pretty descent colour job for a good price. just my .02 I could be wrong, good luck

Comment

Working...
              X