X

noob hp question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob hp question

How is it that most 600 cc bikes make so much more hp then the gsx600f & gsx750f? Are the outputs dulled down because the class (touring)? How to higher output and whats output gains can be reached?

Originally posted by JRod750 View Post
    How is it that most 600 cc bikes make so much more hp then the gsx600f & gsx750f? Are the outputs dulled down because the class (touring)? How to higher output and whats output gains can be reached?
    They are inexpensive, low compression, air cooled engines.

More HP generally means higher compression, and a need for more cooling than just air/oil cooling alone generally for the same CC. It also means higher costs to build the engine comparatively.

The options to increase HP for a Kat vs money invested generally means increasing the CC for the best bang. Drop a 11-1200 cc motor in from a bandit, earlier 1100 Kats, or early model GSXR 1100s.

Reasonable priced modifications to a 600 or 750CC Kat engine will only give you minimal increase in output.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ditto. It mostly comes down to money.

The katana motor is based off of 1980's GSXR technology. There's a 20 year tech difference between a Katana and a modern, water cooled GSXR.

The benefit to us, is that since the design has been essentially the same for 20 years, the tooling/R&D is already paid for. That keeps the price low.

As mentioned, swapping motors is probably the best/cheapest way to get more out of your katana. Spending money on the 600's usually yields little gain, if any at all. I actually turned my wifes Katana back to stock exhaust/airfilter....it actually runs much better in stock form than when it was modded.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Think i'll keep my 750 the way it is and upgrade to a new bike down the road. I love my kat. I'm just new to bikes.

Comment

Working...
        X