No announcement yet.
X

Limits to your lean

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me be the first to remind you all how lucky you are to have curvy roads! lol I wish I could get a vid of myself riding through the 'curves' here, so I could get some comments, but yeah i seriously have not come up on a curve where I really need to bank it in (besides off ramps- which usually have a stop at the end, so no good) However there is the large traffic circle by the beach my friend and I have 'time trials' on, the only time I scraped a peg on the Kat, it felt good, probably bc i was expecting it
    ----------------------------------
    1992 GSX600f
    1976 Z400

www.cityriders.weebly.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bugg View Post
      Let me be the first to remind you all how lucky you are to have curvy roads! lol I wish I could get a vid of myself riding through the 'curves' here, so I could get some comments, but yeah i seriously have not come up on a curve where I really need to bank it in (besides off ramps- which usually have a stop at the end, so no good) However there is the large traffic circle by the beach my friend and I have 'time trials' on, the only time I scraped a peg on the Kat, it felt good, probably bc i was expecting it
      Come to Asheville some time...

*** Warning *** Riding a motorcycle in this area may be dangerous to your current life style as you may never leave....

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Come to Asheville some time...

*** Warning *** Riding a motorcycle in this area may be dangerous to your current life style as you may never leave....

Krey
        I want to move down that way.
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

some people drag knees more (easier) than others. I think it has a lot to do with your particular riding position and style, as well as the type of bike you're on.

On the track, I would routinely pass people who were knee down, while I had never touched my knee and still had a couple of inches to go. I carried more corner speed, and leaned further, I just never stuck my knee out far enough. (this was on an '01 gsxr600)

this last time taking my ZX-10R to the track, I was scraping knees around every corner. Sometimes hard. It got to the point where my knees would be tucked in (not stuck out "trying") and they would still scrape. I doubt that I was that much faster than I was on my 600....It was just a different type of bike.

I guess my point is, that getting a knee down doesnt' necessarily mean you're faster than someone who doesn't put their knee down. The type of bike and riding style have way more to do with it than how fast you are. So don't worry about it....It will happen eventally. Best to take it to the track though!

Comment

i'm all for show off stuff, but in a controlled area, where if you wipe out no one will get hurt but yourself if it comes dowm to it. nice job though

Comment

When I lean on left turns I scrap the toe of my left boot having size 13's doesn't help but scares the hell out of me and requires that I buy boots often.

Comment

some people dragknee..... I drag leather

I guess my foot position was off :-T
                sigpic
                2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
                  some people drag knees more (easier) than others. I think it has a lot to do with your particular riding position and style, as well as the type of bike you're on.

On the track, I would routinely pass people who were knee down, while I had never touched my knee and still had a couple of inches to go. I carried more corner speed, and leaned further, I just never stuck my knee out far enough. (this was on an '01 gsxr600)

this last time taking my ZX-10R to the track, I was scraping knees around every corner. Sometimes hard. It got to the point where my knees would be tucked in (not stuck out "trying") and they would still scrape. I doubt that I was that much faster than I was on my 600....It was just a different type of bike.

I guess my point is, that getting a knee down doesnt' necessarily mean you're faster than someone who doesn't put their knee down. The type of bike and riding style have way more to do with it than how fast you are. So don't worry about it....It will happen eventally. Best to take it to the track though!

The whole idea of leaning off isn't to touch your knee, but to get the center of gravity as far to the inside of the turn as possible, allowing you a tighter turn without exceeding the bike's clearance or the tire's edge. Leaning lower doesn't accomplish anything, as a higher center of gravity is actually a good thing since when leaned over it moves your center of gravity further to the inside. Look at pics of the pros vs our "amateur" pics. The pros aren't reaching DOWN with their knee like many of us are. They use their knee at a familiar position as an indicator that they're nearing their max lean angle.
                  Last edited by CookieMonster; 07-11-2009, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugg View Post

I have the same problem. I have to drive an hour or so out of the city and find some curves.
                    Is that your bike outside? I ride.... competitively.

Comment

Originally posted by Katrider04_600cc View Post
                      When I lean on left turns I scrap the toe of my left boot having size 13's doesn't help but scares the hell out of me and requires that I buy boots often.
                      Do you put the balls of your feet on the pegs or are you flatfooting it through the curves, your metal feeler under the footpeg should grind not your toes
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by Katrider04_600cc View Post

I wear size 13's as well. I learned at the 07 Rally that I was riding with my feet too forward on the pegs. Since then I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs an I have only scraped once (I was pointing my toe out).
                        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Riding with the balls of your feet not only adds clearance in leans, but also allows more control as your pressing on the pegs during those quick switchbacks and corner exits. At least IMHO
                          Joker
                          The newest addition to the Family!
                          sigpic
                          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                          X