No announcement yet.
X

i wrecked my bike also...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with you Seypea, but it seems like he passed the class with flying colors. More practice never hurts, but I think he really needs more on road practice - it's too easy to be perfect in a closed or near empty parking lot. I don't think he ever would have had the accident he described in a controlled environment.
    ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

tory, it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and the stress of the situation you were may have caused you to panic a little resulting in an accident.

i was the king of stalling when i was starting out last year. at first i didn't grasp the concept of how the clutch worked (always had automatic cars) so i would dump the clutch to quick.

once i got the hang of that i ventured into heavier traffic and i found it to be a bit of a sensory overload. i would forget to get back down into 1st when i stopped at intersections, and would inevitably stall over and over until i realized i was in the wrong gear. needless to say i had many embarassing moments, but i didn't let that stop me.

keep you bike, get it running, practice, and then when you are more comfortable deal with the cosmetics. these things happen starting out, so just get back on the horse and learn from your mistakes.
      I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
      http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

TOry it sounds like you know what happened and how not to do it again. I wouldnt sell the bike though, I dont think it is to much for you at this point in time. You just need seat time, seat time and more seat time. We arent that far away from you in PA, if you ever want to come ride with us you are more then welcome to join us.

Comment

taking and passing the MSF class does not equal a guaranteed safe rider. However, I have taken the class and have had to use some of the techniques which probably has saved some injuries and/or bike damage.

As with most things, you have to be able to apply those principles in practical situations. How do you do that? I'm not sure other than re-reading the MSF book in my library....errr.....bathroom.

Comment

Chances are it's one of the engine covers that broke (causing the oil to leak). I would recommend scouring ebay for a fairing to replace the one that's broken (right?), you should find one for about $100-150 is good shape. The engine cover, you should be able to get for about $50-75. I know I have a spare stock front right hand turn signal (and a left hand one if you don't mind a tiny amount of rash on one corner that i'd sell for cheap). I wouldn't bother getting it all repainted until you're truly confident on the bike (and you can justify dropping 3 or 4 hundred on actually making it look nice).

As for riding, I think the Kat is a great bike to learn on, it's heavy, powerful enough to let you push the limits when necessary, but not the type of bike that'll bring the front wheel up in 3rd gear (or 1st even, unless you really juice it). The ninja's are light bikes, I'd really say the only difference between the two is i'd much rather pick up a ninja after I drop it than a kat.

Just keep with it, everybody has dropped a bike before, or at least come WAY too close and scared the sh*t out of themselves. At least you wore the right equipment and were able to walk away from it with just a bruised ego.

Comment

i appreciate all the input. i'm pretty sure i'm gonna keep it. the MSF for most of you is the equivalent to the BRC in maryland here. the only part of the test i lost points on was the figure 8, everything else i got perfects. in the class on that bike i didnt ever have a problem starting and stopping, and up until this incident i didnt have a problem stopping or starting my kat either. actually the first bit of the ride i didnt have any problem at all, then later in the ride it started acting like i wasn't giving it enough gas, and the last light i hit, i stalled it, then came to the stop sign, and what eventually turned into my wreckage.

slapshot, my goal for the summer was to be able to get up that way to ride w/you guys eventually...

my wife isn't too concerned w/the $ yet. i'm more concerned about that than she is. i have my temp tags that expire at the end of this month, and i had the money for the real tags and inspection, but i'm gonna have to use that on getting it fixed. i'll have enough money back in the savings account before july to get the inspection and tags, it'll just be cutting it really really close.

ptyp, my brother in law works on bikes... he's fixing it to ride again, minus the damaged fairings i'm sure, but after i get it back i think i might take it up to a local bike shop and see if i can't have them just re-inspect everything and make sure there isn't anything else wrong w/the bike. i know the accident was all my doings, but my errors aside, for some reason i think the bike was cutting out on me because there might be something else wrong w/it... i can't say 100% i was launching exactly the same as i was for the first bit of the ride where i didnt have any problems, but my hand memory is pretty good as i work w/them for a living, so i tend to trust them more than my feet. (for driving) if i think if the bike will stall again because theres something else wrong w/it i wont feel comfortable riding it in traffic, which is why i want to get it looked at by a shop before i get back out on the road. then my paranoia aside i can get back behind the reigns and work on my skills.

the reason i was thinking about getting a 250 is because i got the distinct impression it was too much bike for me. too much power right off the bat. i didnt get that impression w/the 250's from the BRC. a couple times earlier in the trip before the wreck i definately got that "too much power" feeling telling me to let off the throttle. i didnt really get down on the throttle during the class, and i realize you can still power up a wheelie on a 250 just like a 600, but it's like the first car i ever drove was a corolla for drivers ed., little, no power, and when i got my liscence, i got to drive my moms firebird because her a/c broke, and it kept over heating so i got to use it for going to and from school. the first time i tapped the pedal, i burnt tires, and it was like that for the first couple trips until i developed a feel for it. i think i just need to work really hard on throttle and clutch control during non-busy road hours after i get the bike straightened out. heh, maybe i'll even ride w/out the fairings so i dont have to worry about damaging them again...

Comment

My bike is a 94, and I also had stalling problems. Would run great while I was on the throttle, but the second I slowed down to come to a stop sign or light it would die. Fire it back up and would die again unless I gave it gas while sitting. After numerous conversations on here with CyberPoet, we/he diagnosed the problem to be lack of vacuum. Sure enough, I ensured all the vacuum lines were properly attached and free to flow and I havnt had the problem since.

Comment

Tory, no problem. You fell; most people do and a lot do in their first months of riding. I fell within months of learning to ride and did a similar amount of damage to my bike. The important thing is you were wearing your gear and you survived without serious injury.

After my fall, I fixed what needed to be fixed to get the bike running safely. But I haven't replaced the rashed fairing or mirror. Instead I sanded them smooth and will consider repainting or replacing in the future. I think of the rashed fairing as a battle scar and it's a constant reminder to be alert and take it easy.

Keep practicing in wide-open spaces, making it a part of every ride if possible. Try to remember all you learned in the classes and apply it every time you ride. Soon it will be second nature.

BTW, I often go to the course where I took my MSF class and practice there. The memories of my good experience at the class gives me confidence to keep practicing and working on my technique. And while I didn't have any problem completing the figure 8 on the 250 Rebel they gave us to drive at the class, I have yet to be able to do them well on my Katana.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up!

PS I wouldn't worry about your brother’s involvement in fixing the bike. Tell him you’re not certain if you’re going to keep it, if you feel that way. He’ll want to help you out regardless.

PPS I’m not certain you get more for your money selling the bike fixed up. Consider this, a potential buyer of a damaged bike will make an assessment of how much $’s it will take to fix the bike and offer you accordingly. If his or her assessment of the repair cost is less than you think it will cost, then you pocket the change. There’s a strong market for damaged bikes, you find people looking for something they can fix up cheap all the time and others are looking for parts bikes.

Comment

Keep the Kat dude..the fall you had was nothing..that bike doesnt owe you anything and you'll be bummed if its gone. the only thing is practice your starts on the Kat..the ninga 250 is no sloutch,my wife has one and it to can put anyone on their ass if not careful. good luck bro you'll be fine..persistance is the key..

Comment

how long were you riding for? i let my freind learn to ride mine and after a while the heat build up from parkinglot stuff and on and off the clutch mabe it very grabby

Comment

from ellicott city to elkridge 15 minutes, and from elkridge to baltimore, 20-25 minutes. it was actually a perfect day, barely over 70 degrees, sun, a few clouds, early evening (saturday) so not really any commuter traffic. i think like i said i'll have the bike checked out by a shop just to sooth my "paranoia" and/or give me a huge bill...

Comment

Three words: "Keep the Kat" Everyone falls, some learn others don't. You learned from it and sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Practice some more and then take the ERC (Experianced Rider Course). Oh, and lots of people stall thier bikes. Where's Tony??? R4L.
                          sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                          MSF Rider Coach 27028
                          MoPowerSports.com
                          Torco
                          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

tory, not that i know anything but my first time i drove on the road was to the end of my road and back and after several trips of going down the road and after learning the bike alot better i took 5 mile short trips. This being said I think what happened was you were riding with somebody that has expirence that can go faster than your skill level in a place that he kown good and second you were driving in a place you never drove before at least on a motorcycle. My advice is to take it slow and stick with the katana.

Comment

keep the kat and put alot of time in parking lots or empty roads. you gotta learn some how, just try to lessen the risks.

maybe invite the wife out to watch you in the parking lot while you pratice a bit so she can see your doing ok. although that might totally back fire, but its an idea. my gf was always worried about me until i took her out a few times. she insists i ride alot better than i drive a car so....
                              03 katanika

Comment

Damn Tory, sorry to read all this bro. Your always welcome to bring her here again and use my barn if ya need it. We rolled the harley over to the other building so i actually have some room for a change. If you decide not to keep her for any reason, please give me a call. I'll give her a new home...

Comment

Working...
                                X