X

Engine cut at 80 mph

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cut at 80 mph

I was riding at around 80 MPH today when my engine cut. I engaged the clutch and came to a halt. Put the side stand on and inspected the bike. I had just filled my tank to the brim, so I knew it wasnt a fuel shortage that caused the engine to cut. I thought there may be a problem with the fuel petcock, so I set it to reserve and started the bike. It started just fine. A few miles later same thing happened again, the engine cut at around 70 mph this time. So I engaged the clutch and came to a halt again. This time I hadnt got off the bike, I tried starting it, but it wouldnt start. I inspected the bike again, couldnt find anything wrong. At this time, the gear was still engaged, so I tried starting it with the clutch engaged. It still didnt start. When I checked the side stand, I noticed that it was a little out of place, I kicked it back in, and the bike started just fine. It was then I had realized that while riding at 80 mph, the vibrations muct have caused the stand to go out of place and automatically cut the engine.

Has anyone ever faced this problem? I remember one member had put a post about a similar topic, where his engine just died, and he dragged it to a a gas station and his bike started just fine from there.

If anyone does face this problem, I would suggest checking the side stand.
    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Well at least it was a cheap fix! Thanks for the info.
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

actually that should be the very first thing to check. it is a fairly common problem, and the easiest thing to check first. so it should be at the top of the list.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

my rattles down all the time. might be time for new springs. in my case however, i need to new sidestand. 16 years of wear have worn down one of the sides where it attaches to the bike.

Long Live the D

Comment

Yup, there's a bunch of posts on it. Common is the springs getting weak with age & use, or the hole the pivot mounts through elongating (the later mostly from spinning the bike on the sidestand, I suspect).

Springs are an easy fix, but you'll almost assuredly want a spring pulling tool to get them on painlessly (think of a T-handled allen wrench with a hook on the end). If it's the hole elongating, that's a bigger PIA, but it can be welded and retapped readily enough (the right fix).

Caution:
          DO NOT simply disconnect your sidestand sensor switch without fixing the sidestand issue. I've known riders in the past who have had their sidestands catch lips on manhole covers and the like and go down rather catastrophically as a result -- that switch is there for a reason...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

happened to my ninja years ago.i was in a pinch so i shorted the switch(no safe dont do it)works in a pinch

Comment

When I switched from dual pipes to single pipes on my 97 600 (I used Cyber's old pipe... maybe I'll start riding better now ) My side stand always fell down... I guess it was actually using the left pipe to hold it into it's actual operating position... I had to bend that little tab that actually pushes on the switch until it stopped turning off. Never falls down now, and works most excellently!
              Flush twice... It's a long way to the kitchen.

Comment

has anyony else had the problem dfamien had, I was going to go to a 4-1 setup, but if thats going to happen I'll stick with a 4-2 system.
                "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."
                http://www.putfile.com/91750frider/images/6658

Comment

Well , it SEEMS that the 4into2 , the kickstand wedges itself up above the pipe . Seen that on a stock pre I bought a few months back . I have a 4into1 though , and the srping is good enough (PLENTY good enough) to snap that stand all the way up and KEEP it there .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X