Let's talk 80's vs 90's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk 80's vs 90's

Hey, gang.

Last week I took an '87 750 for a spin and loved it!

This weekend I'm gonna take a '98 750 out and can't wait.

These are the only 2 I've found so far. I just need something that is gonna be good handling, good on gas and comfortable. Not interested in speeding. Been there, done that.

Both bikes are priced right ('87 is $1855...'98 is $3900...I KNOW they will go lower). Oh, yeah..should mention I plan to do some streetfighter mods.

So, bike vs. bike...which is the good and bad and why?

Thanks!

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

DON'T BE A SQUIDIOT!

you sure it was an 87?

Comment

The pre-98 750 has more HP and a nicer front end (body wise - IMHO) but an ugly tail section (again, IMHO)

There are others on here who will disagree.

If you're looking for a bike that's good on gas, it all depends what you're comparing it to. This bike is the worst I've ever owned for fuel economy.
      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

not an 87, that does not look like an 89-97 Katana 750, I honestly don't know if it exists, but I don't want to say it don't then be wrong.

Comment

I'm betting it's an 88 750... :shrug:

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

now i know 88 750 doesn't exist.

Comment

Bet its an 89
              Currently Riding:
              1995 Katana 600
              V&H Exhaust
              Jet Kit

SOLD
              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
              1987 XV700 Bobber
              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                Bet its an 89
                We keep guessing and eventually pick a year they made one.. right?..

But I have to ask.. if your positive they did not make one in 88, why would you think thye did for 87?...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If you are going to streetfighter anyway I'd go with the pre98. I think the pre98 has a better platform for a streetfighter project, not to say a 98+ wouldn't be able to make a good fighter project, but I prefer the pre.
                  None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                  -Robert Morrison

"
                  well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

I heart the 80's!!
                    With a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
                    The hip hip a hop a you don't stop the rockin
                    To the bang bang boogie
                    Say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat

Comment

Maybe it was an '88 or '89...only the dealer says '87. Definitley a Katana , tho. So..what's the mpg's like for this and the '98?

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

DON'T BE A SQUIDIOT!
                      Last edited by olds_cool63; 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        We keep guessing and eventually pick a year they made one.. right?..

But I have to ask.. if your positive they did not make one in 88, why would you think thye did for 87?...

Krey
                        because in 87 it MAY have been a GS, like a vintage Katana. The dealer is full of ****, the first year they made the "Katana" 750 was 1989. Don't go there again.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          because in 87 it MAY have been a GS, like a vintage Katana. The dealer is full of ****, the first year they made the "Katana" 750 was 1989. Don't go there again.
                          Per suzukicycles.org...

GSX 750 ES 1987
                          Overall Length: 2,155 mm (84.8 in)
                          Overall Width: 765 mm (30.1 in)
                          Overall Height: 1,260 mm (49.6 in)
                          Seat Height: 780 mm (30.7 in)
                          Wheelbase: 1,480 mm (58.3 in)
                          Ground Clearance: 155 mm (6.1 in)
                          Dry Weight: 210 kg (462 lbs)
                          Engine type: Air/oil-cooled 747 cc inline-4, DOHC, 16 valves. 91 hp/ 9,500 rpm, 7.1 kg-m/ 9,500 rpm.

Also found this...

GSX 750 F 1988
                          Overall Length: 2 250 mm (88.6 in)
                          Overall Width: 730 mm (28.7 in)
                          Overall Height: 1 180 mm (46,5 in)
                          Seat Height: 790 mm (31.1 in)
                          Wheelbase: 1 470 mm (57,9 in)
                          Dry Weight: 209 kg (461 lbs)
                          Engine type: 748 cc, four-stroke, 4-cylinder, 16 valves, air/oil-cooled, DOHC, TSCC, SACS. 106 hp/ 10,500 rpm, 7,5 kg-m/ 9,500 rpm. 6-speed.

So is this "1988" a situation where they came out with the model late in the year, like the "65" mustang and most people refer to them at 89s, or is it just mis information completely?

Krey
                          Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM.
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

What ever year it is you have to go for the pre 98 if you want to build a streetfighter. I haven't seen many people build a good streetfighter out of a 98+ (not to say it can't be done).

Comment

Well, I'm just looking forward to the weekend so I can compare the 2. The '88 0r '89 (I'll stop calling it an '87) I rode last weekend was a great bike. Excellent condition. Just felt and handled like exactly what I'm looking for.

Nuff said.

olds_cool63

DON'T BE A SQUIDIOT!

Comment

Working...
                              X