Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What's a good cheap, tough, older bike to flog?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good cheap, tough, older bike to flog?

I've got a 05 750 kat in great condition. I've ordered a scorpion slip and chopped the tail, and as acf1073 says I don't really want to do much more to it, I love it the way it is. I'll likely add Ivan's jet kit and corbin in the future.
    That said when I drive it, I drive it pretty hard, I love the sound and feel when it is turning 8,000+ rpm regardless of what gear it's in, I don't what to beat the **** out it, but I can't help it.
    So the question, what's a bike that I could flog?
    I've thought about a pre but worried about fork seals and second gear.
    So criteria, fun, cheap, tough.
    I don't mind having to wrench it, so if I spent $1000 or so what would be the best choice?

Blackdog
    Blackdog
    DRz-400e plated
    Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

when I wanted another bike to FLOG I bought a 98 Katana... they don't get any more simple or cheap to buy then a 750 KAT
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
      I've got a 05 750 kat in great condition. I've ordered a scorpion slip and chopped the tail, and as acf1073 says I don't really want to do much more to it, I love it the way it is. I'll likely add Ivan's jet kit and corbin in the future.
      That said when I drive it, I drive it pretty hard, I love the sound and feel when it is turning 8,000+ rpm regardless of what gear it's in, I don't what to beat the **** out it, but I can't help it.
      I don't mind having to wrench it, so if I spent $1000 or so what would be the best choice?

Blackdog
      So FLOG it.... bet it takes more then 8,000 RPM to bust it or your didnt maintenance it
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

My 06 750 has over 27K on the clock, and gets flogged on a regular basis. I wouldn't consider 8K rpms as severe running. These engines are tough, and as long as you follow basic maintenance (oil changes at 3K miles), they are nearly bulletproof. As a reference, I run the slab about 40 miles each way, and regularly cruise at 75-80 with the flow of traffic. Some members here have well over 100K on their beloved Kats, so don't be afraid to twist the go bar!
        2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
        2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

To really flog, I'd say a DRZ450 with street tires. It'll take a ton of abuse, let you wheelie, drop it, crash it, and be ready for more. The problem is finding one for $1k...

What can you find for $1k that's really floggable? Any dirt bike in general. Built to take abuse...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

An old gs/gsx air cooled would be my first choice, tough as old boots cheap to run, cheap to maintain, still capable of ton + speeds & handle better than most people bought up on newer stuff would believe
            Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I'm feelin' pretty good today and kind of "typey" as well, so here we go. I'll start with I've always want to race in the Vintage class. Of course, to win but more so to have fun. If I were to pursue that to reality, I would pick a bike from the early 80s era. I like the CB-F and VFR (early Interceptor models, just make sure you get gear driven cams) series from Honda. They can be made to make good power, handle pretty good stock, and can be made to handle a lot better without a lot of hassle or money and they are really easy to work on. Couple that with the fact that you can find running examples of 750s and 900s for under 2000 and commonly around 1000-1500. Then if you ever want to really mod it out, I think CBR-F2,3 front end and rims will fit. check it out ....

They come in 750, 900, 1100 cc's. I think the 900cc was the platform for their superbike efforts in the early 80s

The early Interceptor are a real solid choice as well ...

and they can be highly modded to really handle and perform very well ...

Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM.
              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

These are hard to kill!

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...00a_t%2078.htm

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post

Blackdog

Comment

I wouldn't recommend an early VFR or VF Interceptor to flog. Not that they're not fantastic bikes (I had a 84 VF700F Interceptor and (all props to the Kat) I still think of it as the best bike I've ever owned) but the parts are starting to get rare and pricey. The pre-86 VF Interceptors take some special care (and a special tool) to set the valves and they all had trouble with oil-starving the heads at high RPMs. There's a mod that will fix that but if it wasn't done and the bike wasn't babied you'll probably find burned cams.

Look for a 90s Kat 750. They're out there for cheap-especially if you don't care about beauty, parts are plentiful/cheap, you can mod the bejabbers out of them with instructions/ideas right here and the ride will be a lot like your 05. My 94 750 has plenty of power to keep me amused and hasn't given me a lick of trouble that wasn't either self or PO-induced. You're looking to play, not fuss with the bike, right?
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Sorry, I forgot htis was a Suzuki-based site .... my bad. That's just my own preference. The GS was a strong bike as well and they can be had for reasonable.

I saw this on craigslist.com and it was just a neat looking little bike ....

The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                      Ya, 28 hp is hard to kill, I had Yamaha XS400 when I was 17 and had to lay on the tank to see 100mph, I could pop the front wheel up but couldn't carry it very far.

Thanks BigKat,
                      I saw your bike the bikes for sale section, it's in nice condition.
                      I like the look of this

I also like the idea some members gave about not being worried about thrashing the Kat I have now, likely cheaper in the long run, not insuring and maintaining two bikes. I'm going to do a bit of research on the Honda cb750 and Kmz's (supermoto?)
                      Last edited by Blackdog; 01-15-2009, 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      Blackdog
                      DRz-400e plated
                      Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Yeah man , that Kats CAN take a good amount of thrashing . But like any bike , ABUSE is a different story .... But it's not all that unusual to see a high-millage Kat still running , so long as it don't get tossed down the road too often or too hard . It's all about how you take care of 'em . But if you're looking for something basically "gas & go" , I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat a Nighthawk . Almost NO maintenance (shaft drive , valves like every 25k or something) , fairly bulletproof , and plentiful . Little underpowered compared to a lot of other bikes today , but still . This month's Motorcyclist has an article about them in the Smart Money section towards the back .....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Don't get anything older then 10~15 years or at least make sure it was something that was made well into the late 90's ~2k+

with Yamaha, Suzuki/Kawasaki, Honda fazing out NOS and production of components on bike 10 years+ to promote new bikes sales its going to be harder and harder to get parts for bikes like the KZ, CB,GS, XS, GPZ etc etc. In my shop all week I have to hear from the big 4 how TONS of parts are no longer available.
                          I have guys with older yamaha YZ's, and Honda ATC's, Goldwings, Yamaha XJ's, Suzuki GS's that have a hard time getting parts

I have a customer restoring a CB550 (83 I believe) he can't get some OE parts like the clutch rod, timing chain guides, alternator chain and guide, valve lifters, intake boots, gasket kit or even valve cover gasket/base gaskets, throttle cables, starter, starter clutch etc etc. some is available through aftermarket but he's been chasing parts for MONTHS..

Stick with something newer
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                            I have a customer restoring a CB550 (83 I believe) he can't get some OE parts like the clutch rod, timing chain guides, alternator chain and guide, valve lifters, intake boots, gasket kit or even valve cover gasket/base gaskets, throttle cables, starter, starter clutch etc etc. some is available through aftermarket but he's been chasing parts for MONTHS..
                            Tell him to hit oldbikebarn.com -- they'll have some of what he needs (they tend to buy up old dealer stocks and warehouse them). I think this was actually originally Mojoe's tip a few years ago for such cases

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Id say an old Gixxer something like a 88-92 or something. theyre fun and fast
                              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                              Current Bikes:
                              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X