X

oil and filters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil and filters

I have never been much of a motor guy but I am going to do my own oil changes from now on. it makes sense and is a lot less lame than having the shop do it. I was looking around and there are a lot of aftermarket oil filters out there. what do you recommend and what oil? where do you order your stuff from?

2004 katana 750, advanced with TBR Titanium exhaust.
    "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

I use K&N filters, mostly because they have a nut welded to the end which makes it very easy to get the filters on and off.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

hard part is that when i picked up my new bike, i never got the owners manual, so i am not sure what weight of oil i need or how much. gah
      "I am better than dirt..well most kinds of dirt that is. Not that fancy storebought dirt- that stuff is loaded with nutrients. No way I can compete with that stuff..."

Comment

click the search button, then type oil. then press enter. gah!

Long Live the D

Comment

Search for this topic, it's been discussed extensively. I use OEM filters with Mobil MX4T synthetic oil (easily available at Autozone, Walmart, etc). Cyberpoet offers a good deal on filters to KR members, that's where I got mine. Excellent step by step instructions to do your own oil change posted at http://home.stny.rr.com/jhugh250/Oil...l%20Change.htm
          Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

I sell Amsoil and it is very good oil. I run a K&N filter but I do sell oil filters. The weight you need is 10w-40. Just click on my link in my sig.
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

4 quarts does the trick?

Comment

wow, that is odd =) lots of posts hahaha

Comment

I know with my 89 750 I use 4.1 quarts with oil fliter change. So get 5 to be on the safe side of everything.
                  www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Get 5 liters of whatever you get.

Whether to use 10w40 or 20w50? If you would burn your feet to stand barefoot on aspault where you live in the coming month, use 20w50, otherwise use 10w40.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i think i am going to grab 5 liters of the castrol gps oil. I live in ohio, it only gets in the 90s on occasion. I typically ride in the early morning or later in the evening- the icon motorhead coat (leather) doesnt make the heat any better =)

Comment

Ive got 20w50 in my bike right now. I normally run K&N oil filters too. This last time I had a couple spare stock filters I got from a local racer that I put on instead just to use them. I'll do another oil change before the gap and put 20w50 back in.

Normal oil change, my kat takes 3.5 quarts and she's full just right. Although after changing out my oil pan last week I ended up using 4.5 quarts of oil to get it filled back up.

Comment

I use Mobil MX4T with an OEM filter. Buy the OEM filters through CP.

I heard you can skip replacing the filter until every other oil change with the OEM, but I'm more conservative and change it each time.

Of late, there has been extensive discussions about incorporating a Fumato (?) drain plug/valve. I have not done this yet, but am wondering if I'll just wait until I strip the oil pan threads to finally listen to folks!

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaKat
                            I used Mobil MX4T with an OEM filter.
                            Plus infinity (except that I use K&N cause its actually cheaper than OEM)

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                              Normal oil change, my kat takes 3.5 quarts and she's full just right. Although after changing out my oil pan last week I ended up using 4.5 quarts of oil to get it filled back up.
                              I suspect don't have your bike flat when you normally drain it or you don't leave the drain open long enough -- the drain should get all but about 1/5th of a liter out compared to dropping the pan itself... so a full liter of difference makes me question it...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X