X

Crankcase bolts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankcase bolts

Well, as you can see below, a few of my crankcase bolts have some sort of corrosion on them, this motor is from virgina, so chances are it's from salt on the road.

Now I know in the manual says that some of these bolts that I've circled have to be loosened/tightened in a certain order. I want to replace all the bolts that look like they have any sort of corrosion on them, but I don't want to pull the crankcase apart. Do you guys think I would be ok replacing these one-by-one? Like, taking one out, replacing it, re-torquing it, then moving to the next one...

Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

That is just oxidation of the zinc (or what ever they are coated with) Why change them? They look fine to me.

But to answer the question, yes you probably can change them the way you mentioned.

Comment

I don't see much point in changing them either....but hey if it's one of those make work jobs that allows you to spend more time with the bike than the wife.....than I totally understand. I think you would be fine doing it one at a time.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
        That is just oxidation of the zinc (or what ever they are coated with) Why change them? They look fine to me.

But to answer the question, yes you probably can change them the way you mentioned.
        I'm anal about that stuff, I like clean, and those arent clean, if its just oxidation, then I can maybe clean them with some wd-40, so maybe that will work.

And wife?!? Are you kidding me, I'm 21 and FAR from falling in that trap....
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
          I'm anal about that stuff, I like clean, and those arent clean

well then...I'd like to point out the scuffs on the underside of your frame. perhaps it's time for a complete frame up restoration. time to get that frame in to the powdercoaters

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

I'm anal about that stuff, I like clean, and those arent clean, if its just oxidation, then I can maybe clean them with some wd-40, so maybe that will work.
            And wife?!? Are you kidding me, I'm 21 and FAR from falling in that trap....
            If you're getting anal about the visual quality of the bolts under your bike...
            I think age has nothing to do with you being single!

Comment

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Well crap, all this time I'm thinking that I wasn't the problem...maybe it's like to look in the mirror.....

||

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                18v Rigid Drill

Comment

Originally posted by chinto
                  I'm anal about that stuff, I like clean, and those arent clean

well then...I'd like to point out the scuffs on the underside of your frame. perhaps it's time for a complete frame up restoration. time to get that frame in to the powdercoaters
                  Plus that oil pan gasket looks like it has seen better days
                  "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                  JOHN 16:33

Comment

HEY! That thing is pretty much brand new!! It's only got a little bit of gasket sealer on it...

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                    18v Rigid Drill

Comment

HEY! That thing is pretty much brand new!! It's only got a little bit of gasket sealer on it...

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Working...
                      X