Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

96 GSX600F starting & running problems...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 GSX600F starting & running problems...

Ok, I now have a set of new problems with the Kat. I've recently adjusted the valves, replaced the air-filter with a new K&N, replaced Spark plugs, cleaned the carbs (Did not brake down fully) and replaced some of the O rings. I had an issue with the fuel leaking and the new O rings have stopped that.

New problem is in starting, its just works really hard to start and is not like it was before all of this. I pretty much have to use the choke to get it to start. I've used the choke in cold and times the bike has sat along time. In doing so now and with the choke wide open, it revs like crazy and sounds like I've opened the throtle on up. About scared my daughter to death when she heard it. I'd say it hits around 3,000 to 4,000 RPMS at this point. I close off the choke and it cuts down below 1,000 and wants to die. This starts the process of bliping the throtle and working on keeping it running.

Like I said, this is not like it was before at all. So she's warmed a bit and I give her some test rides. She doesn't seem to respond as well in some ways. Crawling at slow speeds in 2nd are not the same. I use to creep along in 2nd (good for bumper to bumper highway home trips) and keeping just the right amount of throtle & clutch along with balance. She does not handle like that and in those speeds acts like she wants to be in first or something.

When you blip the throtle the revs come up and go really slow down. She seems to idle a lot higher in gear as well about 2,000 rpms when I come to a stop. She just does not seem to drop right at times. When I stop and set her into neutral, the RPMs drop to about 1,500 at this point. So its like shes all over the place.

Any ideas on what I need to look at next? I've pretty much run my course and will have to look at a shop next if I can't figure this out. Use to be a little choke would start her and she would idle at least 1,000 and warm up from that point.
    Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
    Katana

Are there O rings in the fuel/air adjustment screws?
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

The O rings I replaced helped keep the floats in place. Before the bike would not start really at all. It had issues with Carbs 1 & 2 and I knew something was wrong. Next we saw gas flowing from the Air Vent hose that connects between 1 & 2. We broke them down and saw that the floats were really loose and would not stay well in place hung upside down. New O rings have fixed this problem, the leak is gone and in general the bike sounds better and seems to run using all 4 carbs now.

Problem is outlined above, real hard to start now and revs to high with the choke and dies with out it or revs real low. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has a clue what I should try next. I don't know if this is a Carb problem, throtle problem, choke problem or combo of these. Thouught I'd run it by here for those working on Kats. If I can't figure it out, then it will be off to the shop next, just want to try and keep from paying an arm and a leg is all. I'm ok with a finger, perhaps part of a hand.

L8R,
      Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
      Katana

Comment

well when you put the choke on you will naturally rev higher due to the enriched mixture. One thing you could think about is since you did put the K and N filter on shouldn't you at least do a stage 1 jet kit due to the extra air running through the carbs? That could be a problem, once you take the choke off you're running very lean.

Comment

This is much more than normal choke revs. I know the difference and enough that something is not the same. I can see about sliding the old air filter back in and see what it does, I'm guess it will be the same. I just think I have a few more problems than just an air-filter. I did not think you had to go to a stage 1 jet kit just to use the K&N.
          Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
          Katana

Comment

All the kats I've seen though rev up to 4 grand when the choke is at full. Maybe they're all wrong. how did it respond b4 when you had the choke on?

Comment

Not like that... not at all... pretty much the bike had a hard time starting, but with the choke, she would turn over and run. I'd say she ran around 2000 at this point and I could ease it on back off the choke and she would idle about 1000 and just run & warm up. After a bit that would come up and she would idle about 1500 at the most. This is nothing like that, its like a full gun it sound, just screaming like crazy an solid, so I drop the choke on back and it drops heavy an to the point it wants to die. So I'm think something with the carbs still, just not sure. I'm checking with some mechanics around here and hope they can figure it out. My hopes is its something simple. You get your new Carbs yet?
              Paladin

1996 GSX 600 F
              Katana

Comment

Working...
              X