X

Running Issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Issues

So I have had two Katanas thus far and recently bought an RF900R that I am having trouble with. Seeing as it is so similar to the kats I figured I would ask questions about this bike here since I don't seem to be able to find any forums for the bike.

I got it, changed the oil, replaced the plugs, put a fuel filter on the feed line for what seems to be a fuel pump (petcock -> round cylinder under seat -> carbs), and disassembled the carburetors to clean them. I used carburetor cleaner (1.5 cans), wire brushes, carburetor cleaning needles, and compressed air. Reset the air/fuel screws to 2.5 turns out and went to fire her up and she started right up! Was able to turn the choke off after a 20-30 seconds and she purred along at 1100RPM -- I could blip the throttle and it would rev up then come back down without any significant amount of hanging/surging/bogging.

The problem is that once the bike warmed up and as it continued to run it started running like absolute crap, missing and requiring throttle to start/idle. I tried disconnecting the main fuel line and starting it several times until it wouldn't fire anymore but that didn't seem to help. Any ideas guys?

My guesses:
    -Vapor lock? -- Not sure because fuel filter was still wet and at least half full of fuel.
    -Valve adjustment -- The valves definitely need adjusted -- there is some serious tippity-tap going on on the brake side of the motor. I can't imagine this making the bike run like garbage though.
    -Heat-related ignition issue -- always a possibility I suppose.
    -Heat-related vacuum leak -- tear in the intake boot or something that starts leaking more when the engine gets warm.

Any ideas guys? point me in the right direction. Oh, and another relevant symptom is that I have noticed the carbs fart air and occasionally fuel back out of the throats.

Regards,
    -Duo
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Adjust the valves first. If you already know they are way out, then yes... when it gets hot and they expand, it will make it worse.

Also check the oil. Is it over full or smells of fuel?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Adjust the valves first. If you already know they are way out, then yes... when it gets hot and they expand, it will make it worse.

Also check the oil. Is it over full or smells of fuel?

Krey
      Krey to the rescue! You helped me get my 600 running 3-4 years ago, glad to see you're still here.

I will have to get around to the valves but I will most likely work around it until I run out of patience and give up, or the bike runs. From what I have read they are shim style valves.

As for your second suggestion, I will do that as soon as I get off work...you thinking the float valves are sticking and causing it to flood?

One other test I will try is spraying some carb cleaner in the throat while the bike is running like garbage -- that will at least give me a hint as to whether the bike is flooding or starving for fuel.

Regards,
      -Duo

Comment

Originally posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
        Krey to the rescue! You helped me get my 600 running 3-4 years ago, glad to see you're still here.

I will have to get around to the valves but I will most likely work around it until I run out of patience and give up, or the bike runs. From what I have read they are shim style valves.

As for your second suggestion, I will do that as soon as I get off work...you thinking the float valves are sticking and causing it to flood?

One other test I will try is spraying some carb cleaner in the throat while the bike is running like garbage -- that will at least give me a hint as to whether the bike is flooding or starving for fuel.

Regards,
        -Duo
        So will covering the air intake with your hand to reduce the air flow.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

FYI the RF is actually closer to a GSXR than a kat
          It uses a water cooled motor
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            FYI the RF is actually closer to a GSXR than a kat
            It uses a water cooled motor
            Yeah I know, but I love you guys more than anyone on the GSXR forums so I'm here to stay :P.

@krey- I've used that trick to get a bike to start but did not think of using it as a lean/rich diagnosis tool. Thanks for the suggestion! And regarding your suggestion to check the oil, if it is gassy and overfilled that would suggest that the float valves are stuck or the float height is not set properly resulting in flooding right?

Regards,
            -Duo

Comment

Yeah I know, but I love you guys more than anyone on the GSXR forums so I'm here to stay :P.

@krey- I've used that trick to get a bike to start but did not think of using it as a lean/rich diagnosis tool. Thanks for the suggestion! And regarding your suggestion to check the oil, if it is gassy and overfilled that would suggest that the float valves are stuck or the float height is not set properly resulting in flooding right?

Regards,
              -Duo

Yes sir!

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

To be fair, you are comparing people who ride their bike because they like to ride vs people who ride their bike to prove how small their dick isn't.

Comment

Working...
                X