X

front sprocket cover

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front sprocket cover

so i followed the steps outlined http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108832 here, took shifter off, removed the bolts holding it on......but it wont come off

it seems to be hung up on something so i thought maybe wiggle it? but now its cockeyed on there and i can put it back on or take it off......what am i over looking here, i am very frustrated

the service manual says "follow instructions in previous section" but i cant find it anywhere

help me plz

annnnnd going through a search of the manual theres 5 instances of the phrase "sprocket cover" and each one of them say refer to a different section that in turn says refer to the same section....... and still no explination why its snagged up on soemthing, i also heard something pop..... so now im worried about that
    Last edited by Nickhimself; 03-21-2011, 03:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Did you get all the bolts? should be 6 if I remember correctly. After those are out and the shifter is completely off, it should come off fairly easily.
    Did youtry pinpointing where it is hung up, if it is cockeyed it shouldn't be hard to figure out where it is going cockeyed at.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

it has an alignment pin on the top right. Is the bottom further off then the top? can you push it back on?
      '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

It seems like its hung up right where the push rod adjustment screw/nut thing is.... Right where the rubber gromet is on the cover, and theres only 5 bolts for it

And no the entirety of the cover is away from the bike and i cannot get it back its origanal postion now either
        Last edited by Nickhimself; 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Mine was a bit of a pain to get off I just gave it a good ol tug and it came off. Def make sure all bolts are off. And be prepared for the dirt n grime. Got mine off and oh man did I have some cleaning to do. Make sure to add a bit of grease back in there tho IMO. Maybe some one can correct menor advise how to do so. Good luck keep us posted
          J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

Ok so gqve it a few curtosy hits with the rubber mallet, nothing. Threw the pry bay in there only thing i got out of was something sounded like it broke......... Im at a loss

Comment

sounds like it may be hung up on the clutch pushrod, or you have something in there.

this thread is 98+, but its pretty much teh same for the sprocket cover...

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
              mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

ok so im retarded, there was a bolt that i apparently couldnt see in my garages lighting underneath the rubber gromet >.< ty for the help guys

Comment

LOL add that one to "what I learned today" pile
                  '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

lol too funny hope u didnt break anything
                    J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

now you know for next time

Comment

i cracked the cover a lil but everything seems to be in fine mechanical order, battery filter and oil should be intoday, gunna put those in then cross my fingers and hit the start button

Comment

grab some welding rods and fix that crack. the sprocket cover takes a fair bit of force to disengage the clutch, you dont want it to crack more or break on a ride.
                          they are easy to use and super strong
                          lots of vids on youtube how to use them
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

ok so got all the new stuff installed, bike cranked and cranked, caught a few times acted like it wanted to run but when i let off the throttle it died, shot 3 dice out the tail pipe....ya thats not a typo there were 3 6 sided die in the tail pipe >.<

carbs are def in need of rebuilding at this point i think, i.e. there is gas almost pouring out of the underside of the carbs after about 10 sec of trying to start it

so now its mission carbs

Comment

Lol like I said brother 6 bolts. lol wasn't trying to yank yer chain. When you said 5 I had to second guess myself then thought maybe the PO only put 5 back in. Hope it is still in working order.
                              Carb problem sounds like it could be a problem with your floats, or if its pouring out of the bottom as you said maybe the drain plugs are open or your float bowl gaskets are bad.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Working...
                              X