X

Problems while bleeding front brakes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems while bleeding front brakes

So my front brakes were feeling a bit squishy and I decided to bleed them. My first problem was blowing through a whole bottle of fluid on a single bleed valve. Air bubbles just kept coming. Part of me wanted to think it was a bad seal between the tube I was using but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Eventually it seemed to want to calm down and I moved on, but this story repeated itself on multiple bleed points. Another big symptom I noticed was I would have steady flow from the reservoir all the way down to my open bleed valve, without me working the lever. Given enough time the reservoir would simply run dry from gravity. I'm no expert but I thought the reservoir only drew fluid in when there was pressure coming from the system to draw it in...

Any ideas? Currently I have a zip tie holding my brake lever back for a while, read random threads about air bubbles in the master cylinder sometimes being a problem...

Not clear on what process you used, so pardon me if I'm simply saying what you actually did do...

Bleeding brakes works best when you keep the system presurized, thus preventing air from being drawn back into the system.

Basicly... pump/press the brakes to build up presure... open the valve to allow some fluid/air to flow out. When it slows down, retighten the valve to prevent any air from flowing back in. Pump/press the brakes again to rebuild presure.... and repeat until no air bubles are present, and the brake offers sufficient resistance.

If you press and just hold the brakes then leave it, the fluid can flow through the system... and replace it's self with air when fluid runs low.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I basically do what you said, except instead of closing/opening the valve, I put my finger on the tube I've attached... I was unaware that fluid would flow straight through though when you aren't even touching the lever...

Comment

Hmmm, try this:
        A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
          That seems like a useful thing to keep in the toolbox... I'm gonna run out to walmart and try this before the sun sets.

Comment

Working...
          X