X

Fitting a wider rear wheel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a wider rear wheel

HI, Has anyone successfully installed a wider rear rim to their bike. I have a 98 750 Katana with the UK bike standard 150/70 17" wheel on the back. I was thinking of possibly installing a wider rim from a GSXr. Has anyone tried this and if so how has this effected the handling.
    Thanks
    Your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't (Bart Simpson)

been done there is a whole writeup on it just do a search
    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
      sigpic
      -Cory-
      1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Thanks for the info...
        Your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't (Bart Simpson)

Comment

Originally posted by daslex View Post
          HI, Has anyone successfully installed a wider rear rim to their bike. I have a 98 750 Katana with the UK bike standard 150/70 17" wheel on the back. I was thinking of possibly installing a wider rim from a GSXr. Has anyone tried this and if so how has this effected the handling.
          Thanks
          The process I used to mod the stock swinger shortened the wheel base, and to me offset the negative effect of a wider wheel a bit. Shorter wheel base, tighter turns... wider wheel, wider turns.. together, it sort of washed out.

I have yet to find a negative in handling, or performance for street and spirited rides in the curves on the street. Track riding may show differently if your running timed laps. I don't ride track.

Positively, it smothed out the transitions between curves on tight s turns, I get better lines in the curves, smother ride over all, passenger is very pleased with the differences, and I'm very pleased with how it currently handles.

Someone who recently put one on a Post kat if you want to see how it looks...

There are many options on how to do it, but all will require some mods of some sort by either fitting a different swinger from another bike, or my modifing the swinger on yours (or another stock kat swinger).

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X