X

Fork tubes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork tubes?

One of the things that has come up from time to time is the riding position, low bars, not being too comfy.

People have talked about new trees with tubular bars, but I've not seen it done yet.

My thought was why could you not run longer tubes, that extend past the top tree and mount the stock bars there, above the tree?

Anyone see a problem there?

82 1100 kat I'm talking about.

Well Im no suspension expert, but if you use longer tubes, you wouldnt just change your riding position, but you would change the geometry of the bike which will change the way it handles. There is only a small amount you can change the suspension before it will have a negative impact on your maneuverability. You would probably be better off getting bar risers. A couple of people on here have done it. TMOD (thats his user name) is the KR resident suspension expert. If you do decide to go with longer tubes, talk to him first. In order to keep it right, you would have to lift the back to match the front, which defeats the purpose, and if you're not tall, you may end up tippy toe-ing it all the time

Here's an example of bar risers:

Do a google search: bar risers site:katriders.com
    Last edited by maniac1886; 09-05-2014, 11:31 AM.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

That appears to be completely different than a classic 82 Kat.

I don't see any geometry change happening the extra length is above the trees, geometry should be exactly the same. IMO

I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Comment

I guess my assumptions got the best of me. Ive never seen an 88 kat in person. I guess I assumed the handlebars mount to the top triple like the 90-97 and 98 up katanas. I guess if they are handle bars that clamped to the actual tube, that wouldnt be an issue.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

That would work as long as the travel, length and spring rate match to the existing setup below the triples.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            That would work as long as the travel, length and spring rate match to the existing setup below the triples.

I would think a simple spacer at the top of the tube would take care of that.

Comment

Working...
            X