X

Air/fuel pilot screws...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air/fuel pilot screws...

OK I've looked at manuals and pictures and read tons of posts...but i can't find them.

The only screws I see are the drain screws.

Can someone point them out to me?

Also, the screw on carb two that holds the rail for the choke cable is missing. Should I be worried since there's 3 others in place?

they are under the brass EPA caps I circled, you need to drill the cap off first.

Comment

thanks! That's where I thought they were, but I couldn't figure out how to get to them. I hadn't heard the drilling part mentioned in any posts before.

Comment

Make sure you buy a dril stop.
        If you drill through and let the bit hit the screw you can jam it into the seat and %$@# up the carb.
        Use a drill stop set at 1/8" and drill it. when it bottoms out move it up 1/16" and do it again, keep doing that until you are all the way through. Once you have the first one done all the rest will use the same depth on the drill stop with no worries.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Mine didnt have those caps since someone had already been in the carbs, but looking at the caps and the fiche, couldnt you just run a self tapping screw in there and just pull the caps out?

Comment

you could but run the risk of messing up the screw under it and breaking the carb body best bet is to drill thru using a small drill in the dimple hole and thread a screw into it and pull out on it with pliers to pull the cap out
            I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

yup, Sin is 100% correct

Comment

I guess that makes me the first to play with the carbs in almost 14K miles.

I got caps off pretty easily, I didn't end up using a drill stop, but carefully drilled into the cap until eventually, it wrapped itself up around the bit and pulled right out.

thanks guys

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sin View Post
                    best bet is to drill thru using a small drill in the dimple hole and thread a screw into it and pull out on it with pliers to pull the cap out
                    In fact Jet kits come with the self tapping screw just for that, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                      Yes. I am nearing an Ivan's kit purchase and it not only includes the self tapping screw but also the drill bit.
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

yup

Comment

And I've had the best luck using my Dremel to drill into that dimple until it JUST starts to widen , then a wood screw screwed into it , then yanking with pliers .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                            well technically all screws are self tapping im referring to the self drilling ones with the chisel point so its a 50/50 deal i don't really call a wood screw or a sheet metal screw self tapping unless they have the chisel point on them diff strokes for diff folks
                            Last edited by Sin; 01-16-2008, 02:49 AM.
                            I have two gears to beat you with and four you will never see!"

don't knock masturbation its sex with someone i love

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Comment

And if anyone knows his diff strokes, It would be Sin

But yes, Self tapping screws are the type of screw that have a "v" cut into the actual threads, Where as a self drilling screw has a smooth shanked tip with a "v" cut into it followed a 1/4" up the shank by threads. Self Tapping screws are used primarily for sheet metal, Whereas Self drilling screws are used where metals are thicker . Without a pilot hole and needing to be drilled thru prior to the addition of threads.

Self tapping screws will require a predrilled hole close to its size. On its first few turns, it will produce a thread pattern the rest of the screw can use till its tight.

Self drilling screws will work on metal that does Not have a hole predrilled and upon "drilling thru the metal" it will act as a self tapper above.

Plain Sheet metal screws require a hole to be drilled near the thread range for ease of instalation.

I know right about now, Sins probably saying "I put any ****er in the drill, and its going in" LOL

I'm just pointing out the differences in terms really to inform others out there, not nitpicking on what you use.

Altho I should add a disclaimer, "Any screw can be used for the wrong reason to get desired results" Sort of along the line of using a hairbrush to mix paint cause the bristles add more turbulance LOL Just pointing out the slight misconception lots of peeps had when I dealt with the hardware store for 20 years.

Plain sheet metal screws are great for the EPA caps if you predrill to the appropiate size.you aren't looking to thread them anyhow.

Dynojet kits do come with the drill bit and the sheet metal screw.

:::Waiting for the Arsenic "DJ sucks large farm animals" comment:::: LOL
                              If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                              Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Working...
                              X