X

White smoke under decelleration

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White smoke under decelleration

I just bought a new 06 kat 750. I have about 5500 miles on it so far and it has been blowing a little white smoke when I'm using the engine to slow me down going down a hill. It doesn't seem to happen when I'm just coming to a stop and using the engine compression a little in each gear. Only seem to occur when I'm using compression braking for a little while like going down a hill.

Bike is new 06 750, stock except for a Yosh rs-3 slip on. Nothing done to the jets.

Any ideas?
    Black IS the fastest color!

If you'll done nothing to the jets, they come lean from the factory, I'd say your running lean, go a 1/4 out on the A/F screws.

Comment

Thanks Arsenic. Please excuse my noobieness, but, are the A/F screws accessible without having to remove the plastics?

I'm assuming A/F means Air/Fuel mix screws and that they would be on the carbs somewhere....

Comment

no they aren't accessible without removing the plastcs. They aren't even accessible withoput removing the carbs. The A/F screws have EPA brass caps placed over them, you'll have to drill they caps, put a self tapping screw in there and yank the caps off. Then next time you need to mess with them, you can use this:
        Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

and you won't have to pull the carbs.

Comment

Have you by chance laid the bike down recently?

Comment

Thanks Arsenic, I was afraid of that. Methinks that is a little beyond my capabilities. I tried to remove the carbs from my CB750 four once many years ago and was never able to get them back on. Guess I'll just buy a jet kit and have a shop do it for me.

MikeM: nope, have not laid the bike down. It's still as pretty as when I rolled it off the showroom floor.

Comment

White smoke is usually water isn't it?

Did the problem start right when you put the exhaust on?
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
                White smoke is usually water isn't it?

Did the problem start right when you put the exhaust on?
                Dunno, I put the Yosh on only a couple weeks after I bought it. It was brought to my attention last week by another rider. Couldn't be water since it's air cooled.

Comment

The how-to is covered on my website here:
                  Installing a JetKit on a 98-06 GSXF Katana motorcycle.

Although it talks you through installing a jetkit, it will also show you where the pilot screws (sometimes called air-fuel A/F screws) are, where the caps are, how to get them off and how to adjust them. Click on any of the pics for a larger version.

As for the white smoke, if your area uses alcohol-added fuels, it could very well be running too lean and causing this.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, we have alcohol in our fuel out here in Cali. Will it hurt anything if I leave it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by TT120
                      Yeah, we have alcohol in our fuel out here in Cali. Will it hurt anything if I leave it that way?
                      Depends on how lean the bike is jetted. California models are usually closer to "extremely lean" than standard 49-state models to compensate for CARB requirements.
                      The only ways to know for sure is either to have the exhaust gases measured on an exhaust-analyzer equipped Dyno, or wait until something fails (exhaust valve typically, which unfortunately means the whole engine most of the time).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X