X

98+ Busa shock swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ Busa shock swap

i've read all about the pre 98's, but can't get any info if the busa shock is a direct swap into the post 98's. i bought one off ebay and i'm trying to get it in now...i know i'm gonna have to modify the battery box and grind some of the knuckle, but i need some more info from someone who's done it. is there anymore modifications that i need to do? thanks

it's a 2002 600 by the way
    Last edited by cpark_12; 07-06-2009, 08:44 PM.

My personal opinion is if you need to grind away the shock linkage to get it fitted dont do it !
    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

don't you have to grind it down a little for the b12 shock too?

Comment

I've done the swap and you don't have to grind ANYTHING. You WILL have to do some cutting of the battery box to clear the Busa reservoir, but it was relatively painless to do. By the way... it will raise the back end of your bike about 2", which makes your sidestand just about useless, but makes it a breeze to put your bike on the center stand.
        sigpic

In Life, you either lead, follow, or circumnavigate the whole process....

Comment

a little more information for everyone...

My bike is a 2004 - 600. Here's what I had to do.

I cut out the divider in the battery box, so I could move the battery back. I cut out the left front (I think it was the left...) corner of the battery box to make room for the reservoir.

Since the shock is longer, you will either need some way of compressing the shock to install it, or you can do what I did...

I unscrewed the preload collar all the way, to unload the shock. I installed the top of the shock first. You will then see that you still will have to compress the shock to install the bottom bolt, but by removing the preload, it will be easier.

You can do this next step by yourself, but I would recommend a second set of hands. I used a floor jack (padded) under the shock/knuckle to compress the shock to fit. ***WHEN YOU DO THIS, THE BACK END OF THE BIKE MIGHT BEGIN TO COME OFF THE GROUND - HAVE YOUR HELPER STEADY THE BIKE AS THE SHOCK COMPRESSES.

After you get the bottom bolt in, you can reset your preload ( you DID measure it before you unscrewed it - right?) If not, I use the setting from the Busa manual which are:

Preload - 183mm (measured top of spring to bottom of spring)
          Rebound - 11 clicks (turn all the way in clockwise and then out 11 clicks)
          Compression - 7 clicks (same as above)

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let me know.
          sigpic

Comment

the shock needs to be adjusted to the kat + the rider. stock settings would be a good baseline I guess, but to maximize the effect of the swap it should be tuned.

Comment

Katana Bob - I completely agree. The settings should just be your starting point, but REMEMBER, only change one thing at a time so you understand how that change affects the suspension.

As a note, my settings are within 1 click of the standard settings and the 183mm gives me just the right amount of static sag. But for a lighter or heavier rider..... (btw, I'm 6'5", 195lbs without gear)

Good luck on the swap.
              sigpic

Comment

okay, got the shock in finally...and holy crap! it raises it a lot! i'd say more than just 1-1/2". i'll get some pics and a writeup about the install

Comment

Originally posted by cpark_12 View Post
                  okay, got the shock in finally...and holy crap! it raises it a lot! i'd say more than just 1-1/2". i'll get some pics and a writeup about the install
                  You know the shock can be shortened up a bit to give ya a little lower ride height.

Tmod

Comment

i remember reading about how to adjust the chain with the rear end a little higher. i can't find it now, anyone remember reading this and what it said?

Comment

thats interesting.

Comment

here are the before and after pics. the after pic is with the center stand down and the tire is on the ground! i welded some 1-1/8" extensions on the center stand now just to get all the weight on it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Has any one tryed this swap then put 1 inch or 2 inch lowering links on it to compensate for the jacked up rear end?
                          TimT794

Comment

yes i did, check my garage
                            Chrome Project Part 1
                            http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Very nice bike. Do you feel that the lowering links and shock are a good combo. Does it put the ride height back close to stock?
                              TimT794

Comment

Working...
                              X