X

$125 to mount and balance both tires?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $125 to mount and balance both tires?

Hey guys... I've been the annoying tire guy around here lately, but this is my time trough the ringer!

I'm in the bay area, ca and just spoke to a recommended mech. and he said he would mount, balance, dispose of new set of tires for $125. Does this sounds fair? He said it would be the same price if I brought him in the tires off the street (online). Note: Id be bringing in the bike, not just the rims.

I see on here that people range $20-$40 per rim if you bring it in, but I dont think Im advanced enough to take off the rear yet!

Seems high but from my limited experience with US dealers (1 place lol) they tend to be high priced.

If I remember right my last time I got 2 tires mounted (rims off bike) it was about $70-75. I know a local guy from another forumthat does them for $15 a tire or beer.

Take the time and call around, or hit a local bike board and see who everyone recommends.
    Kyle

Comment

did he buy you dinner first

Comment

Removing the rear isn't that different from removing the tire from a bicycle. If you can change a tire on a car or a bicycle then you should be good. It's $20 per tire to change here if you remove. $2 per tire disposal fee.

Comment

the local shop here will do the mount/balance for free if you buy the tires there, or $20 rear/$15 front if you bring the tires in.

Make friends with the owner of a shop. Friendly discounts are your best bet for very low cost service.
          2000 ZX-12R, Power Commander, Quick Shifter, -1 & +2. SO DAMN FAST
          2001 Mazda Protege (MAZDASPEED Conversion w/Callaway turbo, TurboXS BOV and Boost Controller, InJen CAI, Vibrant Header, WORK SuperWheels)

Comment

Here the local shop charges $35 a tire if it is "on" the bike. Sounds awful high to me. $50 a tire on the bike is the highest I heard around which is why no-one goes to that guy..
            sigpic
            1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

Originally posted by snewman1209 View Post
              Hey guys... I've been the annoying tire guy around here lately, but this is my time trough the ringer!

I'm in the bay area, ca and just spoke to a recommended mech. and he said he would mount, balance, dispose of new set of tires for $125. Does this sounds fair? He said it would be the same price if I brought him in the tires off the street (online). Note: Id be bringing in the bike, not just the rims.

I see on here that people range $20-$40 per rim if you bring it in, but I dont think Im advanced enough to take off the rear yet!
              Those prices suck! I live here to and if you need a good price and good cheap service? Fremont Cycle Salvage is the lowest cost around.

When I was a motorcycle messenger in SF, I always got my tire there and they were always the lowest by a large gap! When you bring your wheels in, its free! on the bike I think its $50. for both.

These days I use the internet and get my tires near or under cost! than mount them myself.

Comment

thats horrid

on bike is $25 a tire here... off bike is $50 a tire, learn how to take em off yerself and make sure you use bags and label all the washers.

Comment

Ask him if he supplies the Lube at that price
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Where i live the average is $35 per wheel off the bike and about $65 on the bike. i $120 but i got to demo a victory hammer for the day while they had my bike

Comment

Way too steep, look elsewhere.
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

That's like a 2 hour+ labor rate. That seems steep.

Comment

Well, although I would never pay that much, it's probably about right for a dealership. Take the $65/hr average labor rate, add 'book time' to R&R both wheels from the bike, tire disposal, new valve stems, balancing, and tax. You could hit $125 pretty quick. I'm not saying it's worth it, but I could see how one could end up paying that much.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

The stealership I visit charged $25/tire not even off the bike + a small disposal fee. Unless you get some sort of serious perks package I'd look elsewhere.
                            Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Yeah definitely take off the wheel yourself, it's not hard, plus it will save you even more money in the long run if you learn how to do it yourself now.

Comment

Working...
                              X