X

Key holder/ignition switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key holder/ignition switch

My question is about replacing the part that you put the key into. The previous owner sold the bike with a brand new Suzuki Key and key ignition to go along with it. The only problem is the factory uses stripped bolts.

How do you get the old one off???

Hope someone knows because i need to put the lock on it before someone decided it would be fun to push it down the street...
    Thanks

okay, the factory doesn't use stripped bolts, they use shear head bolts. Toughs are reverse torx head bolts and when they reach a pre set torque setting the head shears off. To get them out you need a center punch and a hammer. Take the upper triple clamp off and the handle clip-ons off too. So all your left with is the upper triple clamp and the ignition switch. Put the upper triple in a vice and hit toughs bolts with the punch in a counter clockwise direction. I know its a PITA but it's the only way to get them off. I've heard of some people using security keys, but thats the only way I've ever done it.

Comment

it's for a 1992 katana... I don't supose you have a picture... Is there anyway to do it while on the bike?

Comment

Is this one of those times where we can type, "Try searching"? http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...010&highlight=

It's definitely easiest done with it off. There's not much room to work on it attached to the bike.

After a search in the Mechanics 101 section for "ignition AND switch", this topic comes up.

Should have all you need.

Long Live the D

Comment

Originally posted by paradoxmd
          Is this one of those times where we can type, "Try searching"? http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...010&highlight=

It's definitely easiest done with it off. There's not much room to work on it attached to the bike.

After a search in the Mechanics 101 section for "ignition AND switch", this topic comes up.

Should have all you need.
          Thanks I apperciate the fact that you took the time to insert the search link, even though their is one in bold at the top of the screen. I have been searching and i already read that page but i still don't understand what people are talking about with the hex key. Mabye i should take a picture of what i got going on but as far as i know... From the info i have searched i still can't get a clear view of what i need to do.

Thanks though apperciate the already read link...

Comment

I don't think there are any pics of it here. Best bet is to flip the triple tree over and just try the suggestions until you find one that gets it off. I'd start with the punch like arsenic suggested. It's not probably not going to be easy, but it won't be the hardest thing you do.

Oh and you're welcome for the already read link.

Long Live the D

Comment

I tried to "turn" mine out but had no luck. I ended up drilling stepped holes until I got the head off. Be careful not to drill into the aluminum. Once I got the heads off, I was able to hand turn the remainder of the bolt out. Now I have to find new bolts!!

Comment

Okay so here is a picture can you modify it and put dots on where to drill the little POS bolt

Comment

Easy... center punch the bolt you have circled. Then start with a really small bit. drill anbout 1/4 inch into the bolt, but not too far. step up your bit, and do it again. as you step up your bits, you will want to keep an eye on how far down you drill. You dont want to ruin the threads on the housing...or tree top...or whatever its called. when you get to 7/32 inch drill bit, the little washer should come off onto your bit. Pull it off with some pliers, and repeat on the other side. once you pull the actual ignition free, you should be able to turn the remaining bolt stud out by hand.

Comment

Working...
                  X