No announcement yet.
X

melting wire loom... ignition barrell?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• melting wire loom... ignition barrell?

Hi All, I have a 1989 GSX600F, and the wiring loom that runs down the side of the bike is a complete state! its all melted (black outer casing) I think the melting starts from the iginition barrell / iginiton (where the key goes).

Does this sound liek a likely suspect for the melting loom? or do you think it is unlikely and that i should look to change something else before installing a new wiring loom?

all advice and ideas would be great!

also Iv just bought myself an Ohmmetter/Voltmeter off eBay so i anyone knows how I can use this EXACTLY to work out wots wrong please contribute with your ideas.

thanks all!
    owner of a very ill and upset 1989 GSX600F. - poor baby!

swapping out the loom will allow you to inspect all the connections and associated component wiring as you go. just keep and eye out for suspect areas. if you're not sure about a componant, check it with your meter. go to the library and get a book on basic use of the meter, or google the mfgr and model to download the user manual. basics are use ohms to check continuity in the wiring and switches, and specific component resistance (coils, signal generator, etc). DC volts to be sure the battery is good, alternator working properly, etc.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
      swapping out the loom will allow you to inspect all the connections and associated component wiring as you go. just keep and eye out for suspect areas. if you're not sure about a componant, check it with your meter. go to the library and get a book on basic use of the meter, or google the mfgr and model to download the user manual. basics are use ohms to check continuity in the wiring and switches, and specific component resistance (coils, signal generator, etc). DC volts to be sure the battery is good, alternator working properly, etc.
      "mfgr"???

im a bit worried about swapping the loom and then then new one getting fryed though!?

also I need a throttle cabel as mine has snapped, shud i get a genuine Suzuki one from Suzuki? £20-£30 i think.
      Last edited by itfben; 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      owner of a very ill and upset 1989 GSX600F. - poor baby!

Comment

Working...
      X