No announcement yet.
X

Helmet of the Year: GMX GMax GM68S

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought this helmet a month or so ago, in solid matte black. Let me tell you, for the money, it's hard to beat. In the heat it beats my EXO-400 hands down! Much more ventilation, and I don't start overheating my head if I'm sitting in traffic. THAT is a major plus in my book, especially when temps hit the upper 90's and the heat index is well over 100. Coming standard with a dark smoke windscreen was nice, and looking at replacement shields... about $30 is a lot cheaper than most other manufacturers. Also I'm pretty sure it's lighter than my EXO-400 was.

Now don't get me wrong, the EXO-400 was a heck of a helmet for the 149 I paid. But for riding around in the summer heat, this helmet is much better IMO.

Is it a $100 helmet? sure.
    Does it compare to $400+ helmets? in some features , yes. But for overall, of course not. So comparing it to such helmets would be stupid.
    92 Katana 600
    ------
    GO BLUE!!!

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by jday240 View Post
        I bought this Gmax in matte silver/black (Crusader). I think it as nice as the HJC CL-15 Orbit it is replacing. It fits me well and I do recommend it. It is a great helmet for the money.
        Jday, I noticed that you went from an HJC CL-15 to a gmax! I've got the same HJC and am considering the same upgrade. How do the two helmets compare? Did you get the same size? If so, do they fit the same? Would you say that wind noise is less or more than the HJC? Thanks man, any input would be appreciated!
        WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

Just a heads up, G-Max's warehouse is completely back ordered until September 15th. . . and nobody has these things in stock; everyone is backordered and most online retaileres don't even have stock inventory (they order direct). . .

. . . all except ironpony. I've checked Motorcycle supersport, motox outlet, kneedraggers, ebay. . . and some list them in stock, but are back ordered in actuality. I highly recommend you call first to verify the have the product in hand before ordering and letting your money sit in their bank for over a month. I just ordered from ironpony and I know they have litterally a handful left. I verified with the guy as he physically grabbed the box (I hope he wasn't putting on a show, but he sounded sincere).

Good luck. . . I'm anxiously awaiting my order and will give an in dept review!

Comment

You might also want to try the two biggest helmet sellers in the US:

and
            Discover the latest high-end motorcycle helmets, from full face to vintage styles, and everything in between.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have one of these , crusader model in flat instead of gloss. Not to shabby, does fog a bit, you get PLENTY of air, is definatly a warmer weather helmet. It does get rather cool if there is any nip in the air. I've deflected a few rocks off the visor w/no dammage. IMO it isn't a bad bucket, but that's also comming from a newb.

Cheers

Chris
              sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
              '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
              '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Helmet shop doesn't carry Gmax but helmet harbor does. But for their asking price, I got 3 day shipping from iron pony for just a couple bucks more.

Comment

I got mine at motorcycle-superstore. But yeah, the stock on them is dwindling pretty fast. I think a guy at a shop here in town had quite a few ordered, but I'm not sure if he got them in yet. that was about 3 months ago.
                  92 Katana 600
                  ------
                  GO BLUE!!!

Comment

I received my helmet via UPS today, and got around to testing it for a good 3 hours. . . and I am impressed.

First impressions are that it is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than my HJC CL-15. I know that after a few hours with the HJC, my neck would get very sore. The overall fit and finish is VERY impressive for a $107 helmet! The paint was definitely above my expectiations.

The actual fit is perfect as well. . . I found HJC size L was slightly too big and HJC size M was too small. But the GMAX size M is just barely too snug, and with proper break in, it's going to be a perfect fit. The material is plush, and very comparable to the HJC, except the chin bar is definitely covered in a better material.

As noted by other reviews, the optics are as if the visor is up, but this is a small detail to me, since I never had problems with the optics on the HJC.

Now to the noise. . . wow. Relative to the HJC, I can wear the GMAX and it's almost as if I were still wearing my HJC, but with my PLUGS ON. The HJC suffered from terrible turbulence in the helmet, resulting mostly from the loose neck roll and the wide open chin area. Riding with HJC was like driving in a car with the rear windows open at 100MPH. With the GMAX, it was like an airplane, smooth, still loud, but turbulence free. I could definitely tell that there was no turbulence in the helmet, but most of the noise from the air moving around outside of the helmet. I'm still going to wear plugs, but even at freeway speeds, this helmet is tolerable without 'em. With the HJC, I couldn't handle 50MPH for 10 minutes!

All the vents have good switch operation, similar to the HJC although definitely not as robust. . . and the switching visors? Well, there have been a lot of complaints about this, but unless you've got mush for brains, it's really not that hard. It's not as fast as the HJC, but it's definitely not bad at all. Just READ the directions first, and you'll get the hang of it after a few minutes.

The best part? I no longer have to deal with the stupid helmet whistle I had with the HJC. Overall, I am so glad to be rid of the HJC, I'm about ready to throw it off my 3rd story balcony.

One bit of disappointment is that I really can't tell a big difference in venting. Due to less turbulence on my chin, I'm actually warmer in that area. But I guess because of I have a fat head, I tend to get hot easily. . . But I've never had a problem with venting anyway, since I usually ride with the visor cracked anyway, and that gives me all the venting I need.

I give the helmet a 10 out of 10. Excellent value and great functionality.
                    Definitely not a Shoei or an Arai, but it blows away everything else in its price range, at least for me. I would have gotten a Scorpion, but they fit horribly on my head, for some reason.

Comment

the lights are a good idea

Comment

i too bought this helmet, i like it its way worth the 100.00 bucks for the winged vent look, vents work well, i have the same one os djtwatt has its nice lookin. my only con i dont like about it is if you happen to drop it the two front black vents ARE EASILY broken and then you also have to unscrew the back led lens and resett the batteries to get your lil blinkys back on... i thought the batts were dead... hell no ive owned this helmet for good hard 7 months and its still got the original batts (even after ive left them on for a night or two) sh*t happens. so the only other thing is the "leather" bottom of the cheek and neck pads is cracking from EVERYDAY use... but thats NO concern to me BECAUSE for some reason the COMPANY i bought from online didnt have the helemt in stock so after a week and a half of not getting my product i called and they told me the same bit, but itll come as soon as they get one or it in stock... THE FUNNiER THING IS THIS two weeks after i had already got my helmet FINALLY ANOTHER BRAND NEW ONE OF THE SAME TYPE ARRIVED AT ME DOORSTEP, so now i have two of the same helmet one for free, one i paid for, one for night, AND one for day since i spent the 38.00 bucks for the silver indurim tent shield and it looks so good on the black silver helemt silver shield and silver helmet ROCKS WHAT a fashion statement! WOOT! is that now messed up or what.... i also have a FULMER modus flip up that i learned is recalled so now iama gonna have three helmets....
                        Last edited by Ana-Katana; 09-20-2008, 09:39 PM.

Happiness
                        Is a
                        Warm Gun.

Comment

"i too bought this helmet, i like it its way worth the 100.00 bucks for the winged vent look, vents work well, i have the same one os djtwatt has its nice lookin. my only con i dont like about it is if you happen to drop it the two front black vents ARE EASILY broken and then you also have to unscrew the back led lens and resett the batteries to get your lil blinkys back on... i thought the batts were dead... hell no ive owned this helmet for good hard 7 months and its still got the original batts (even after ive left them on for a night or two) sh*t happens. so the only other thing is the "leather" bottom of the cheek and neck pads is cracking from EVERYDAY use... but thats NO concern to me BECAUSE for some reason the COMPANY i bought from online didnt have the helemt in stock so after a week and a half of not getting my product i called and they told me the same bit, but itll come as soon as they get one or it in stock... THE FUNNiER THING IS THIS two weeks after i had already got my helmet FINALLY ANOTHER BRAND NEW ONE OF THE SAME TYPE ARRIVED AT ME DOORSTEP, so now i have two of the same helmet one for free, one i paid for, one for night, AND one for day since i spent the 38.00 bucks for the silver indurim tent shield and it looks so good on the black silver helemt silver shield and silver helmet ROCKS WHAT a fashion statement! WOOT! is that now messed up or what.... i also have a FULMER modus flip up that i learned is recalled so now iama gonna have three helmets...."

This has to be the longest run-on sentence I've ever read.
                          "War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them
                          all they want."
                          - General William T. Sherman

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
                          - General George S. Patton, Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Ana-Katana View Post
                            i spent the 38.00 bucks for the silver indurim tent shield and it looks so good on the black silver helemt silver shield and silver helmet ROCKS
                            Why'd you pay extra for the tinted visor? When I ordered mine, it came with it. It also came with 2 sets of batteries for the LED's, a tinted cover for the LED's, a helmet bag and a visor bag.

Oh well. At least you got a free helmet out of it

Comment

I ordered the same helmet with a extra silver indurim tent shield shield too, i paid around $127 for both,around $20 for the extra shield. The only problem is I have to wait until some time in Nov. until it gets in

Comment

The helmet seems to be great, but I hate the limited designs that are available.

Comment

Working...
                                X