X

Sport Riders and Cruisers I don't get it

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Riders and Cruisers I don't get it

In the past couple days I have seen alot of bikes out on the road. For some reason I pay alot more attention to the bikes, and riders gear than I used to. Maybe it is just in my area, but I doubt it, but I have noticed most cruiser riders don't wear much gear if any at all. As to where I have seen only a few squids on sport bikes..

Can anyone enlighten me as to possibly why no gear is the norm for the cruisers? Jean, a t-shirt sleeves very optional, and some shoes is the normal attire around here.. Not only that I seen one guy who had a pretty little passenger who was wearing flip flops and a long skirt...... Though it was a nice view I am totally against it. I make any passenger who wants to get on my bike wear gear. The way I see it I would rather them be safe, because as the driver you are the one in control of their safety on the back of you bike.. Just some random thoughts I had today. Anyone have enlightenment for me?

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

They probably have a false sense of security on a cruiser.. That and a heavy dose of machismo that prevents them to look like a wimp in front of the others in their crowd who refuse to wear gear...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Myself, Dan and Jackal rode down to Deals Gap through Ohio in 05 for the rally and I don't think we saw another rider of any type wearing gear until we were within 200 miles or so of the dragon.

I agree with the false sense of security, I look at it like if I have a get off at 75 mph it's gonna hurt the same amount regardless of the bike I was on.

It's a personal choice, don't stress over it.
      Kyle

Comment

I had a guy at work who rode a Fatboy (ironic as he was a learge boy himself) He told me;
        "I just wear tennis shoes when I ride. If I can't pick the bike up off me I shouldn't be riding it.."

So there is your logic..
        Figuring these people out just hurts my head. I've stopped.

Comment

I've noticed it too, here in PA there is no helmet law so almost every cruiser rider doesn't wear one. Most sportbike riders here wear them but for some thats it.

I think cruiser riders feel that because they aren't riding hard or pushing it there is no need.

Comment

Its everywhere, hardly no one wears any gear here execpt the sportbike guys. I really cant begin to understand why they ride that way, but its their decision. Personally, i know what asphalt at 60mph feels like and hope to never feel it again, and i was in full gear but had a seam fail. I see girls in tank tops and flip flops on the back of bikes all the time.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Originally posted by ChattKat
              Its everywhere, hardly no one wears any gear here execpt the sportbike guys. I really cant begin to understand why they ride that way, but its their decision. Personally, i know what asphalt at 60mph feels like and hope to never feel it again, and i was in full gear but had a seam fail. I see girls in tank tops and flip flops on the back of bikes all the time.

Saw some guy today, newer gsxr, had on a helmet, gloves, boots and riding pants but no jacket just a white tee.

Comment

Here it is the same. Especially in New Hampshire where 8 out of 10 cruiser riders have no gear on at all to include no helmet. I see some squids around once in a while not wearing gloves or just having a t shirt on or regular tennis shoes. But as for headgear, the only time I saw a sports bike rider with anything other than full face was last year and he had a CBRR and wore a chrome brain bucket skull cap looking thing. He looked funny but I figure maybe that was his goal.

As for the no gear and stuff I don't know what the heck they are thinking. I just don't think they comprehend what their skin will look like should they take the smallest fall, not to mention their bones and head!

And I can say too that in Cali when I was stationed there, the Harley riders were mostly Hell's Angels, Pagans, or Banditos. They would always pass through the desert area cruising around. I figured they were back and forth to Vegas or state line or something.

Here it is the complete opposite, I have not seen any Harley riders showing colors. They all look like wealthy weekend warriors around here to tell you the truth. Less crime too. So maybe it is the whole outlaw image they are trying to capture when they ride. That is my guess anyway.
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

I always wear a helmet,usually wear a jacket, & hardley wear gloves but then again I work 2 blocks from home. When I actually go some where I wear gear!
                  here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
                  http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Some people need to learn from there mistakes. Once they go down the first time and they get rashed up then the gear will come out. Im a firm believer that what goes around comes around.

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat
                      Some people need to learn from there mistakes. Once they go down the first time and they get rashed up then the gear will come out. Im a firm believer that what goes around comes around.
                      alot of those people will never ride again either because they are to hurt or to scared too.

Comment

Around here .. only time you'll see cruisers wear gear is when it's cold ... april, may and september october. As soon as weather permits they stuff their gear in the closet !!!

As for sportsbike ... most will at least wear jacket, gloves and boots .. the harder riders will put pants too. But like someone said .. it's a funny sight when you see the rider in full leather gear and the g/f sitting in the back with a mini skirt and flip flop

Helmets are mendatory so it's not an issue.
                        Guylaine
                        Try and keep up now

Comment

i see the same thing here in pa maybe all the harley riders are saving their money to afford gear by harley, which is insanely expensive, god forbid they get something else. i've heard that sport bikes are also the safest bike to get bc they can manuever faster and stop faster to aviod accidents. what are cruisers thinking?

Comment

Plenty of em here in Texas that think a bandana makes a good helmet. We usually calls those guys ORGAN DONORS.
                            2000 Katana 600
                            Search KatRiders with Google | SEO Firefox Extension | New SUSE Linux Users | My Motorcycle Blog

Comment

Here in Panama City, Florida I'd say 80 percent of riders don't wear any protective gear of any kind (unless you count the bandana). During Thunder Beach, which happens twice annually, we usually lose at least one rider every rally to a collision with a car. Knowing that there is roughly 5000 bikes here during that three day period, that makes the odds one in 5000 for every biker out there. -And a lot higher for the ones that think their skull will protect their noodle in a crash.

Rider culture plays a big role in the decision. From what I've seen it's not 'cool' to wear a helmet of you're on a Harley or a Big Dog, and if they do, they choose the German Keiser helmet or another otherwise largely ornamental brain bucket. They usually ride their bikes from one beach bar to another, taking a couple of shots of JD to improve their chances of being eighty-sixed at the next intersection.

My favorite sight is the periodic jackass that has the helmet strapped to the back of the bike.
                              =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Working...
                              X