X

Carbs for 1995 California kat 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs for 1995 California kat 750

I think my carbs are effed and replacing might be easier than repairing... I did poke around on carb interchangability and think I found the following:

1989-1997 kat 750 carbs are all same BST36SS and direct interchange. I don't need my stinkin CA jet needles and the PAJ 1.35 vs 1.25 negligible?
    1998+ kat 750 carb will fit with the 98+ intake manifolds and swap the mains, pilots, PAJs, and needle jet (emulsion jet) and jet needles? leave the TPS hanging and run the push pull throttle with the 1995 single pull cable.
    1993 - 1997 GXR 750 carbs - swap all the jets like the 98+ carbs and intake manifolds are same.

I assume all these will fit to my stock air box.

lastly, are the BST36SS carb set used anywhere else? like bandits??
    '95 gsx750F, '79 gs1000e '77 gs750
    '83 xj550 maxim
    '84 xvz1200
    '78 cb750F3 & '76 FLH stroker
    '80 fxs80 got whacked, only parts left

Pm arsenic.....he'll tell you if they are junk or if he has a set or if he can rebuild your's
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

arsenic wasn't interested

thanks but he didn't say if they were junk and wasn't interested in working on them.. now I'm wondering if the O-rings between the slide housings and carb bodies are leaking,,I replaced them with regular orings and it's hitting me hard that is the only seal between bowl fuel and the carb body where I'm getting the puddle. But one friend told me that excess fuel like that is self governing and would actually bog the motor and lower idle.. IDK. Throttles are a little sticky when all the way closed and they only close to the bench sync first orifice (which looks pretty dam closed!)
      '83 xj550 maxim
      '84 xvz1200

Comment

Fuel flowing into your throttle body is more likely just flowing through the emulsion tube. I'm not the preeminent expert but if your getting fuel in a puddle there id be looking closely at your float valves.
        “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
        Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
        ― Douglas Adams

Comment

Get a rebuild for each carb. Clean and rebuild them. Check the enulsion tubes for being round.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

I can offer 2 solutions...

I can rebuild your carbs for you.

You can buy a rebuilt set I have ready to ship.

Email me at "myusername" @ charter dot net.

PM box isn't working for me atm.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks all.

Krey - I sent you email.

and I had one float sticking open and cleaned that seat and needle to fix that and since have done a suck and blow test and leak test to verify sealing of the float needles so I kind of ruled that out.. But oddly enough,with the floats set at nominal 14.6mm, and still puddling, I did a wet test bowl fuel level check and found the fuel level right up to the bowl gasket.. So I raised the floats 0.030" which dropped the bowl level but then I simulated a running condition sucking on the carb outlet with a shop vac and this changed the wet level to way over the gasket surface.. weird.. and after that, only as the fuel leaked out the drain holes did it lower and if I refilled, it was high again. as if the floats were not sealing well (after I just did a suck and blow test... including suck with mighty vac at varying suck level).

So I'm going to clean the seats, and needles, and maybe replace the needles but I'm still not sure about the throttle shaft and butterfly sealing.. the butterflies only close as far as the bench sync 1st carb orifice but not further.. I was hoping to find someone here that could say if that was typical.. Also, carbs snap closed and go same place letting them down easy but once fully closed, to open them there is an audible "snap" which sounds like the butterflies coming out a slightly jammed position.. I read somewhere that the California butterfly plates are different than the rest of the states.. mine have the mikuni stamp with number 115. could I have bent a throttle shaft or rotated a cam or overtightened or undertightened a shaft nut?
              '83 xj550 maxim
              '84 xvz1200

Comment

rebuild and emulsion tubes

I looked closely at the jet needle for wear and the emulsion tube for oval wear but neither had noticeable wear at the contact surfaces. The needle was pitted bad between the emulsion tube and the slide and the emulsion tube shroud/tip was also pitted bad (like it was idling breathing acid and sand). After testing the float needle seat seal with pressure, vacuum, and fuel, I polished the needles and seats anyway and she is still idling high and puddling. I'm waiting for the rubber pilot jet plugs (mine seemed OK but I have to rule them out). I'm thinking might be choke plunger seal.. couldn't figure out how to test that other then to cap the pick up tube (then would the float assy fit?).

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                Get a rebuild for each carb. Clean and rebuild them. Check the enulsion tubes for being round.
                oh, and of course I am looking on feedback regarding alternate replacement carbs because the choke pistons are hard to find.. anyone have a line on them>>??
                Last edited by GaryS-NJ; 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                '83 xj550 maxim
                '84 xvz1200

Comment

I have a bunch of them brother.

Comment

Damn Chris, seems your the white elephant in the room....
                    Pitting anywhere in a carb isn't good, most likely water damage from improper storage.
                    Arsenic is the man on Kat carbs. You want it fixed? Deal with him. I don't do carbs, arsenic does it for me.... they will be as new when you get them serviced from him.
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-12-2017, 01:09 PM.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                    X