No announcement yet.
X

Firstgear Touring Bags

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking for hardshell cases to mount because tank and tail bags are a pain to carry around when stopped for long periods and the backpack is getting old! If you would, I have a couple of questions related to these bags:
    Do they stay stable at speed? Vibrations/knocking
    Do they contact the exhaust at all (I have a stock 06 600 model)?
    Easy to take on/off?
    Will a helmet fit?
    Secure to the bike (All be it straps can be cut)?

Thanks and if you know anything about hardshell cases, please let me know.

Tim

Comment

Hey Tim, I'll try to answer your questions based on my limited time with these bags.

1.) They are extremely stable at speed. I tested them up to about 115-120 (indicated) to see how they held up and they didnt budge.

2.) They dont contact my exhaust at all. I have a yoshi full system and its totally clear with room to spare, dont know about a stock setup I know it is made of a heat resistant material to prevent burns from momentary contact but i cant say for SURE that it wont hit the stock exhaust, but i really doubt it will.

3.) They are decently easy to take on and off. It's a bit of a pain to put the rear velcro under my solo seat without taking the seat lock off, but it can be done pretty effortlessly.

4.) Yes a helmet will fit. They are expandable, and if i unzip the expansion I can fit my helmet gloves and extra shield in one side, very nice

5.) They are as secure to the bike as soft bags can be The velcro can be pulled apart while the bags are still on the bike, but it takes A LOT of effort, and i mean a LOOOOOOT.

I'll simplify it a bit

Pro's:
      -lots of space
      -extremely secure approaching suicidal speeds
      -look pretty nice
      -impressively waterproof (comes with rain covers too)

Con's:
      -the left side blocks the key slot to take the seat off, can be a little bit annoying if you lock your helmet to the bike but no big deal
      -its fun getting on the bike forgetting they are there and landing a foot on the right bag, d'oh

Summary:

Bags are awesome, and i love mine. I got them cheap ($80 off ebay), they work wonderfully, and over 10mph you dont even know they're there. Well worth the money in my book

Hope this helps Tim
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thank You for the response. Knowing they stay stable at a "suicidal" speed is good to know! This will help in the decision making process. I even stopped at my local dealer to see what they could offer and they had a ST1300 that they were trying to sell me...$12K Saddlebags...not what I was really looking for!

Take Care & Ride Safe!

Comment

Not lockable...

I would probably get softbags if I was going to stick close to the bike most of the time or be in areas where there won't be many people. I'm just so paranoid about bags getting stolen. And, you CAN unzip them and take stuff. Or even easier: take a knife to the bags....

I'm getting an Givi E52 for my daily commuter. I can put my work AND gym bags in it, lock it and forget about it while in the big cities. Won't feel comfortable about that with softbags.

Comment

yeah sleek its true they arent lockable and you can take a knife to them, however I only throw them on when i am going on a trip or need to carry things to a friends house. I also bought some of these:

not horribly secure, but gives me some peace of mind its not like im keeping anything in there worth stealing (wrenches, pieces that fall off the bike, oil etc...)
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by sleekkatanarider View Post
              I would probably get softbags if I was going to stick close to the bike most of the time or be in areas where there won't be many people. I'm just so paranoid about bags getting stolen. And, you CAN unzip them and take stuff. Or even easier: take a knife to the bags....
              That's why I'd always keep my "valuables" in a backpack bungeed to the seat . I got a lockable trunk this spring so I won't HAVE to carry my backpack into stores and junk anymore .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have a set and love them. It isnice tobe ableto stop and pick up somestuff on the way home.
                Current: 1992 Katana 750
                Sold: 2001 Shadow 750

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  I've been looking for hardshell cases to mount because tank and tail bags are a pain to carry around when stopped for long periods and the backpack is getting old! If you would, I have a couple of questions related to these bags:
                  Do they stay stable at speed? Vibrations/knocking
                  Do they contact the exhaust at all (I have a stock 06 600 model)?
                  Easy to take on/off?
                  Will a helmet fit?
                  Secure to the bike (All be it straps can be cut)?

Thanks and if you know anything about hardshell cases, please let me know.

Tim
                  Tim i also have soft bags i got for my 2000 kat but are now being used on my 2006 kat . mine are the Cortech bags.
                  being as his bike is a pre 98 he will not have a problem with the bags hiting his pipes .
                  you will not have the problem hiting your pipes since you say you have the stock on, although if you happen to change your pipe you will run into the problem unless you get a pipe that shoots straight out like the stock one. however it does not pose that much of a problem where it will be that bad.
                  i will/can post pics and/or video of the bike with the bags on and how they go on. the helmet will not fit under the seat hook , it can be made to fit under rear faring hook.

Last edited by Malloc; 12-04-2007, 09:20 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Okay, recently I picked up a set of Cortech TourMaster bags (tri-bag system) at the Fall Englishtown swap meet for $20. Yeah, I know how much they cost new. I have them strapped to the bike in such a way so they are difficult to remove without resorting to cutting them. I found that you can pick up a set of small keyed Master Locks at Home Depot that fit through the zipper pulls effectively locking the contents. Granted, the knife-thing renders that ineffective, but I'm more worried about some punk kids screwing around than anything else since I usually just have extra warm clothes packed inside. Just a thought to make them a little bit more secure.

Comment

video

sigpic

Comment

Good video.
                        Current: 1992 Katana 750
                        Sold: 2001 Shadow 750

Comment

Look nice. I like the idea of hard cases though. Any input or shopping been done by anyone.
                          '04 600 GSXF

"Hope for the best, but expect the worst. You will always be prepared, and never disappointed."
                          ME.

Comment

ive seen the hard bags on a bike on here .. said rider does long trips and loves them .. get ready for stickers shock though .. it will not be cheap .. should be another post here in the gearing up section .. or the touring section telling about them
                            so many roads so little time

Comment

For those of you who needs lots of storage space, check this out.

HorizonNature.com is available for purchase. Get in touch to discuss the possibilities!

Comment

Originally posted by Malloc View Post
                                video

Yeah , that's the way to do it . But there's also an extra strap for the tail bag . I use that one OVER tyhe seat . It helps hold the bags up higher off the pipe . On TOP of that , I like to use a bungee over them to help even MORE , as I usually carry about 10lbs of tools . As a result , I have a couple inches clearance . PLENTY .
                                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                                X