Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can you use turpentine to clean the chain?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you use turpentine to clean the chain?

I know kerosene and mineral spirits are "approved", but I have a bottle of gum spirits turpentine and was wondering if anyone knew if that would be just as safe on the seals.

I wouldn't go that strong of a chemical, the possibility of it dissolving the o-rings is very possible. Diesel works well or kerosine.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Diesel as opposed to regular gasoline?

Is regular gas too harsh and diesel less so?

Comment

Diesel is more oil based. Gasoline.. Some have used it. I wouldn't.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Diesel is more oil based. Gasoline.. Some have used it. I wouldn't.
          gasoline will wash all coating off. if it doesn't kill the orings it will at least cause the chain links to rust. I have used WD-40 to clean my chain.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Okay...being a rider from as far back as 1980, can someone explain to me why I never had to lubricate the chain on my Kaw 750 LTD, but in the last 8 or 9 years, it's a routine thing?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
              Okay...being a rider from as far back as 1980, can someone explain to me why I never had to lubricate the chain on my Kaw 750 LTD, but in the last 8 or 9 years, it's a routine thing?
              Because all the hair products wafting through air left over from the 70's and early 80's. All that stuff in the air would coat and protect your chains from the elements. The clean air act came and now our chains corrode.

Comment

spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

And to think, I just didn't appreciate Twisted Sister like I should have...

so dug your response!!!!!!!!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                  X