No announcement yet.
X

Anyone on PR4's yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mammut, I run PR3's at the factory 33/36.

Does the higher psi increase wear on the centre of the tires?

I'm about to embark on a 5000km trip and am considering the 36/40psi pressures if excessive wear (flat spotting) isn't evident with the increased pressures.

4/5 of the trip will be twisties... opinions?

tx barekat

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
    you can go higher than that without loosing traction
    36 front 40 rear is what I use both on and off track
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post

I'm about to embark on a 5000km trip and am considering the 36/40psi pressures if excessive wear (flat spotting) isn't evident with the increased pressures.

tx barekat

I run 36-38 front/ 38-40 rear on my 3s.

I see no flat spotting ever, but then I don't do alot of straight lines either.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

tx barekat
        I havent flat spotted the pilot road 3 before but I dont do as much highway as twisty. But I would guess that the increased pressure would help withstand flat spotting.

When I recently did 3000+ km with the PR4 on the german autobahn in hot weather doing constant speed of 160-200km/h for many hours straight with full luggage I ran the 36/40 and I noticed an even wear as far as I could see. I dont think the differences between the PR3 and the standard edition PR4 are too big.
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Krey/Mammut,

You guys are quoting cold PSI correct?
          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

yes
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Krey/Mammut,

You guys are quoting cold PSI correct?
              that is what I run
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I tried 36/39 and found the bike really skitish today. The front tire seemed to skip across some crack sealant. I'm going to dial pressures back to 35/38
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

a swedish test

first number is dry
                  second is wet
                  third summary
                  fourth place

2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I tried 36/39 and found the bike really skitish today. The front tire seemed to skip across some crack sealant. I'm going to dial pressures back to 35/38
                    I don't think I've ever felt unsafe riding across crack sealant with my bike at 35/38.

I would give it another shot.. I live in SK, and you know what our roads look like (basically 100% crack sealant), and I've never had any issues with my PR3's.

I highly doubt that dialing the pressure back by a pound will do much for you. You'll see that kind of fluctuation just within a day if it's overcast/sunny.
                    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                    - Aaron

Comment

I'm in the middle of moving, but when I can, I'll put up some pics - 18k miles on a rear PR3 and getting close to replacement time. Maybe 1 or 2k left on it. Almost all superslab miles, and very little squaring off.

More relevant to this thread, front is a PR4 with 15k miles on it, more life left than the rear, but not by much. Slightly more squared off, but still not as bad as the stock dunlops or Pirelli angles that I've run (or PR2 for that matter).

Considering almost all those miles are straight line highway, I'm pretty happy. Handling hasn't been compromised at all, bike still leans in very nicely. These tires saw a fair amount of rain, including ~150 miles over the last weekend of rain through the mountains (Lake Tahoe area). Have never lost traction with them. This past weekend I was riding a little harder than normal - considering the tires don't have much tread left, and they still never lost traction on wet pavement, I can't recommend them highly enough.

Anyone mount PR4s soon enough after they came out to know how they handle in icy conditions?
                      Last edited by shpielers; 08-06-2014, 02:55 AM.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Haha if it's any addition I just took my Kat offroading and greenlaning and had some serious fun. The PR4's held up like kings.
                        - Purplehaze
                        All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

I put pr2's on a cbr 1000 and run 30f 30r and love it
                          R.I.P. Marc- 09/20/09

Comment

Well, I will be having one more ride next week on my PR3's. That ride will put my bike at 20k with 8,500 of them being on the PR3's. Slight tread left in the middle, some tread grooves gone on the right and looks like a slick a little on the left. I have ordered a set of PR4's.
                            I was a little bummed because I had set an expectation of reaching at least 10k on the PR3's. I guess I would have if my bike was a commuter but I use it for fun only. It sees more miles off the center tread than on it so I cant really complain about the 8500 miles. These tires have been in rain downpours, over icy roads, through mud washouts over the road, hail slush and down dirt roads. Even the best days in Colorado throw something at them and they have been fantastic! I am very excited to try out the PR4's soon.
                            I think it would be fitting to lash the front and rear PR3's together and make a tire swing to hang up for the kids at their grandparents cabin.
                            Last edited by rschlegel; 08-30-2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Received my new PR4 rear by UPS today. Only bummer is that I am near the end of the route. I got home and took the rear wheel off the bike and needed the tire to get here by 4:45pm to get down to get it mounted by 5pm. It showed up just after 5 and cant get down to the shop in enough time to get them to mount it today. Here are some pics of the old and new. The PR3 has about 8500 miles of mostly mountain twisties. Thought of trying to get a few more miles but it is wearing really fast now and we have been having a pretty wet summer and get rain or wet roads following a rain so its time to swap. The front should be in by the end of the week I hope.
                              Attached Files

Comment

PR4 first impressions.
                                I kind of forgot how nice a new set of tires are. I could see what Mammut was saying about being sluggish. For the street it felt good but the turn in did seem slower than the PR3. I put the cold pressure at 36f/39r and that felt good. I also put the Ride On sealer / balancer in the tires. It was nice to have a neutral feeling in the corners again. The way my 3's were worn it took a noticeable counter steer pressure to keep a line in a corner. The 4's had a very linear feel all the way from corner entry through the exit. I am sure a lot of that has to do with being new as the 3's felt that way when they had less wear also. It ended up not raining on my 72 mile scrub in but I expect the 4's to excel as the 3's did. I did not do any hard cornering so I did not notice what the difference is with the sides of the rear being a medium compound rather than the soft compound sides of the 3's. 72 miles and first impressions are good.

Comment

Working...
                                X