Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike runs like poo on a temp tank

Just like the title says I was syncing the carbs on
    my bike today, and I noticed every time I run it
    with out the Kat tank it runs like crap.
    I did get them to sync even though it still ran badly
    I put the Kat tank on and she runs like a dream (best
    she has since I got her). Is this normal?

Year and CC of bike? You haven't filled out your garage yet.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      Year and CC of bike? You haven't filled out your garage yet.
      Yeah I keep forgetting to/thinking I did that

01 750

Comment

Ok, so yours has a fuel filter. Are you making sure your fuel line is pointed uphill at all points? Are you using the same size line from the temp tank to the carbs as the factory fuel hose?

Comment

Yeah its the stock line I just have an old snow blower tank that I hook up to it and tie it up in the air

Comment

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
            Yeah its the stock line I just have an old snow blower tank that I hook up to it and tie it up in the air
            What's the outlet size on that snowblower tank, and do you have the lid on? Some of those use a pressurized fuel system and the caps don't vent well.

Comment

Is airbox is still on and connected right? Could also be a flow problem from the temp tank as 05 mentioned, either restricted flow from the tank, or not enough venting to allow it to flow fast enough to keep up with the 4 carbs, since it was probably designed to only flow enough fuel for a single carb.
              Last edited by Psycho1; 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

To answer your other question no, it's not normal. I have an old motorcycle gas tank I use, and it works well. But I made sure the outlet's were the same size and the flows were the same.

Comment

The outlet on the tank is smaller than the hose but its only maybe a mm nothing that should make a difference and yes it vents very well and does it with the cap off even.
                  I guess I might just have to get extended lines or find another tank for next time.
                  At least I got things done, I hope I still need to test ride it.

Comment

Make sure the vaccuum line that normally goes to your petcock is blocked off.
                    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thats the thing it was but when it wasnt it didnt matter and I have checked and checked and checked again for vac leaks with everything from carb cleaner to smoke.

I mean this isnt a huge deal as it runs great with the Kat tank on its just weird to me and might help some other people out as well

Comment

Originally posted by djdaredevil View Post
                          Thats the thing it was but when it wasnt it didnt matter and I have checked and checked and checked again for vac leaks with everything from carb cleaner to smoke.

I mean this isnt a huge deal as it runs great with the Kat tank on its just weird to me and might help some other people out as well
                          You have a vac leak if it doesn't matter if that is blocked off or not. Something isn't getting hooked up/blocked off/ect. Carb cleaner will show you if you have an air leak not really a vacuum leak. Not sure smoke will work for this either.

I know the last time we synced a set of post carbs it was my job to hold the petcock like closed. I was tired and hungry and 70 miles from home so I wasn't paying much attention to what else was going on, but I do remember they were a bit more stubborn.
                          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

How did you block it? Just shove something in the hose? I bought an assortment of vacuum caps for like 2 bucks once and use one of those. Something tells me you may have a small tear or hole in the end of that vacuum line near the tank.

Comment

You have a vac leak if it doesn't matter if that is blocked off or not. Something isn't getting hooked up/blocked off/ect. Carb cleaner will show you if you have an air leak not really a vacuum leak. Not sure smoke will work for this either.

I know the last time we synced a set of post carbs it was my job to hold the petcock like closed. I was tired and hungry and 70 miles from home so I wasn't paying much attention to what else was going on, but I do remember they were a bit more stubborn.
                              The theory behind the smoke was it would be sucked by the leak and I would be able to see it than and carb cleaner would change the way it runs.
                              They werent to bad to sync other than the running badly but I spent about 45 minutes bench syncing them as close as possible.

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                              How did you block it? Just shove something in the hose? I bought an assortment of vacuum caps for like 2 bucks once and use one of those. Something tells me you may have a small tear or hole in the end of that vacuum line near the tank.
                              I tried just putting a phillips head screw drive that fit very tight in the line and used vac caps because I had extra from extending the sync ports. (no leaks there either btw)

Comment

Working...
                              X