X

Audiovox CCS 100 cruise control on pre 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audiovox CCS 100 cruise control on pre 750

I'm looking at installing an Audiovox CCS-100 on my '94 750. On the 98+ bikes there's an electronic speedo and the speed sensor for the CC can tap into that-but not my bike. CP is suggesting I mount the magnet(s) on the base of the brake rotor which seems like a good idea but then we get to those annoying details. Audiovox's install manual is written for a car, not a bike. On a rear-wheel drive car they say to use one magnet on the driveshaft and on front-wheel drives they say use two magnets. No mention of why...

Has anyone installed one of these on a pre-98 or something else without electronic speedo? I'd really like to get this right the first time so any input would be appreciated.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

CP has my write-up on my install for the 98+ Kat, but at the end of it I did put in some info for the Pre Kats.

My original "How To" that I sent him is on my other computer so I can't read what I wrote right now to give you some information.

The cruise control does work without the PPM (pulses per minute) setting via either the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) (98+) or the magnets (pre), just by using the tachometer only. However, it is not as accurate. For my first install, I was only using the tach signal and after setting the speed, the speed would drop down maybe 3-4 mph.

On my second install, I used the tach signal and the VSS and it hold mph without a reduction in speed.

When using the magnets, you'll have to experiment with what PPM setting are required for that portion to work.

I don't know if Rostra's fully electronic CC would be any better for what your asking either. Since you still need to tap into the bike to monitor it's speed, it probably would not help. Rostra essentially eliminates the vacuum canister.
    Last edited by squiggy; 02-04-2009, 01:20 AM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

CP sent me what he's got coded so far (good write-up by the way) but he hasn't gotten to the bit about pre-98s yet. Reading through the manual, the VSS/magnets are providing a PPM (Pulses Per Mile) signal and so is the tach input from the coil. When you tried it without the VSS signal (and had issues) did you try changing the PPM switch settings? Last night I did find a Vulcan website and a FJR website and both indicated the VSS/magnet sensor connection isn't required. I guess my big concerns there are:
      1. Will it damage the CCS unit to not have that wire connected?
      2. Will it signifigantly degrade the CCS performance if that's not connected?
      3. Is there a good place to mount the magnets and sensor? CP suggested the brake rotors but there isn't a lot of clearance there.

Considering the cost (~$100 all told) and the safety issues involved if the thing doesn't work well, I just want to make sure I've thought this out before I start the job.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        When you tried it without the VSS signal (and had issues) did you try changing the PPM switch settings?
        No I didn't.

I thought the PPM's were specifically for the VSS only? I don't remember it for the tach too.

I guess my big concerns there are:
        1. Will it damage the CCS unit to not have that wire connected?
        No it wont. I base that on my own experience. I did not have problems related to failure from that wire being disconnected.

2. Will it signifigantly degrade the CCS performance if that's not connected?
        It will be less accurate with only one source to monitor. Again, this was my experience.

3. Is there a good place to mount the magnets and sensor? CP suggested the brake rotors but there isn't a lot of clearance there.
        When I first tried the magnet approch, i used JB Weld to glue two rare earth magnets I bought from Radio Shack to the rear sprocket. Then I used the pickup sensor mounted on the rear of the swingarm where the chain adjuster is.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
        X