X

clear it or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear it or not?

does anybody have any experiance with the one step paint. i have finished laying my paint and now am debating on whether or not to get the clear coat. what are the reasons for putting a clear coat on? will it protect the paint from oxidation and other weathering better and will it give the paint a deeper "shineyer" the people at the paint store told me this paint works well with or without a clear coat but thats about all they said.the clear will cost me about 40$ but i was just kinda debating on putting another coat or two of paint on or clear coating. i would apreciat yalls knowledge more than you know. thanks again
    "you build a life of success a day at a time"
    Tim Hultz

There are paints designed to work without clearcoats, and paints designed to work with clearcoats. There are also different grades/types of clearcoats (both in terms of chemicals and in terms of hardness/resistance). If you used a paint designed not to use a clearcoat, then you're done (these are normally flat latex colors)... otherwise, you're going to want a clearcoat that is compatible with the paint you used AND which will stand up to the duty you expect it to (i.e. - will it protect the paint if you spill some gasoline on it while tanking up, etc?).

IMHO: If you spent money, time and serious effort getting your paint job done well, protect it with a clearcoat. If it's a rattle-can affair and you aren't concerned, then it's your call -- but you might as well have simply covered the bike with spray-on bedliner instead (just teasing).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
      -- but you might as well have simply covered the bike with spray-on bedliner instead (just teasing).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      What's wrong with that???? That is what I was going to do with yours
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Cyber is right if it is the paint that does not require clear then leave it alone!!! It might end up looking real bad if the clear causes the paint to wrinkle!!! I have seen people put one brand of paint on and a cheaper clear and ruin the whole job!!!
        Lance
        2005 Kat 600

Comment

Working...
        X