X

Gas mileage/fuel guage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas mileage/fuel guage

I have read on a few websites and this forum that katanas have an inaccurate fuel guage. Should mine be this far off? A few days ago I filled up the tank, and the guage said full. Since then I have ridden 42 miles and my fuel guage is showin less than half a tank. Is this normal, or is my fuel guage worse than usual? Thanks for the input.

Thats a little excessive on how far off it is,
    but take in account that they are only accurate on
    full and empty.

Comment

Yeah I thought it was a little bit much too.

Comment

sounds like you leaking fuel, what position do you leave you petcock in when parked
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
        confused katana build

Comment

You should refil the tank and compare... how much fuel vs what the petcock was showing.

Generally speaking the guages only show F-Empty on the first 3.5 gallons or so.

Meaning... you have an aprox. 5 gallon tank and it shows full when full, empty when you hit reserve at around 3.5-3.8 gallons used.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I was told that when riding and when parked to have it on "PRI". Should I have it on something different?

Comment

Originally posted by bman291317 View Post
              I was told that when riding and when parked to have it on "PRI". Should I have it on something different?

Yes, anything but PRI... = prime. Fuel flows all the time. Only to be used when your need to fill the carbs with fuel after sitting long periods of time with out turning the motor over.

On is the regular position you should use (pointed down) and it only flows when the motor is turning over.

Use Res = Reserve if you run out of gas with the on position.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Me thinks you have a case full of fuel meaning dont ride until you change the oil, then slap who ever told you to leave it in prime
                Last edited by blitz2190; 06-09-2012, 01:41 PM.
                never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
                Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
                confused katana build

Comment

Originally posted by blitz2190 View Post
                  Me thinks you have a case full of fuel meaning dont ride until you change the oil, then slap who ever told you to leave it in prime
                  And don't forget to clean the carbs. If your float needles are seating right it won't matter if your petcock is left on prime. But the combination of the float needles not seating and the constant fuel flow from the petcock means boo- boo bad things.
                  Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, i'll be sure to make the adjustments.

Comment

Ok so maybe I should have asked did you look in the tank to
                      see how much gas you have? mine did have a loose ground
                      for the gauge and that made it read funny to

Comment

Working...
                      X