X

New guy here. I got one!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here. I got one!

Hello everyone. I'm new to the bike community.. and especially katanas. I just got what is a good deal for me. I picked up a non-running 1992 katana 600. The guy i got it from had just recently gotten it from someone else so he didnt really know much about the bike either. The known mods to the bike are: header, Vance Hines pipe, jets (dont know what size), k&n filter pod, horribly crappy purple paint job.

MY progress so far:

I got the bike not able to start. I have never worked on any carbs before, nor have i worked on a bike before. After a couple of nights of looking at the bike and browsing through the haynes manual i figured a couple of things out. The fuel lines were connected to the carb breather lines (so thats why fuel was running out of the carbs), the pilot jets were wide open, and all the floats were gummed up. Now the bike runs relatively nicely but im pretty sure it needs to be tuned. The idle is a bit choppy and it backfires ALOT. Something is also weird about the throttle cable. Whenever i turn the column to the right the revs climb to about 5k. Any ideas?

The bike revs VERY quickly in my opinion. My buddy has been around bikes all his life and has a FZR 600 which has every engine "bolt on", and my bike revs noticeably quicker than his. He says he thinks that there may be internal engine work on mine. I know revs dont mean anything powerwise, but has anyone ever compared how quickly a stock rotating assembly katana compares to other bikes of the era? (gsxr, fzr,etc)

Anyways enough of the long rambling. I now have a kat, and knowing me.. will do alot of modifying to it. My goal is to make it faster than my civic

Re: New guy here. I got one!

Originally posted by rcoolb2002
    Something is also weird about the throttle cable. Whenever i turn the column to the right the revs climb to about 5k. Any ideas?
    sounds like it could be binding somewhere. check the routing of the cable. it should run under the tank as close to the center as possible.

Long Live the D

Comment

Kats are great bikes. Enjoy it.

Comment

My goal is to make it faster than my civic
        That shouldn't be a challenge. Isn't a Civic an econobox?

-Danimal

Comment

welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal
            My goal is to make it faster than my civic
            That shouldn't be a challenge. Isn't a Civic an econobox?

-Danimal
            Some of them are

The throttle cable stuff is still weird with the bike. I can't figure it out.

Comment

Yeah , routed wrong , twisted , or too tight .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Yeah , routed wrong , twisted , or too tight .
                What is the proper routing? Right now it just passes straight back overtop of the valve cover, and underneath the vacuum fuel regulator line.

Comment

Working...
                X