Old dude, new here.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old dude, new here.

Hello my motorcycling friends.

I recently bought a fairly decent used 1998 750 Kat & I am still familiarizing myself with the bike. Overall I am quite happy. I wanted a good solid sport tourer that was comfortable to ride & not necessarily the fastest bike on the road. Something affordable, easy to maintain, comfortable, & most of all fun is exactly what I believe I have in this "new" to me, bike. It is black & thus I also believe to have the added yet unexpected bonus (from what I have read on this site) of being the fastest of the "Tea Pots". I shall post more in the future about myself, bike, & adventures. I do however have a question I hope someone can answer for me.

I know how to adjust the headlights but do not know the specs on heights & distances. Several of my previous bikes were different. For ex: is it 17,20,22 or 25 feet from wall? Or a different measurement altogether? Is the mark I make on wall the same as center of headlight from the ground up? Is it two inches higher for high beam? I trust I am explaining myself adequately. I am very happy to have discovered this site & hope that one or more of you knowledgeable Kat riders could "enlighten" (see what I did there?) on this topic.

Thank you all in advance for your prompt & correct solutions to my questions. Cheers everybody! I'll check back in a bit. Hope fully I will be able to contribute in the future. In the mean time; Imightberiding.

Welcome,
    I use 25 feet.. I thought that was standard..

Comment

Welcome
      "The difficult Anytime, the 'Impossible' by appointment only!"

Comment

Welcome to KR! According to pg260 of the '98-02 service manual, the correct answer is 3.8 meters- or about 12.5'. Good luck!
        sigpic
        "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

New to the site & Headlight Adjustment

Wow! That was fast. Thanks Black_Peter. I thought 25' was pretty standard, but just wanted to be a little more certain. Also, what about the height? Measure top, centre or bottom of lights? Measure height of headlights from the ground & mark the same on a wall? I usually measure to the center of the lights & then place a strip of masking tape on a wall so that the top edge is at the same height & then adjust my low beams so the top edge is hitting the top edge of the tape. Does that sound appropriate? Differences in distance & height can make for extreme differences when extrapolated out into the real world of night time hi-way riding. Sorry to be so anal. It's just that I'm one of those fellows who prefers to do it only once & right the first time.

Cheers & thanks again.

So many responses, so much help, so little time!

Thanks to all for the kind welcome & helpful suggestions.

I still have not had the time to order a shop manual for my bike. I will most certainly do this in the very near future. In the mean time I am great full for the help.
          Last edited by Imightberiding; 04-27-2011, 08:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Welcome!
            sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
            1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
            2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
            First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
            Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

From one "old dude" to another, welcome to KR!

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by Imightberiding View Post
                  I still have not had the time to order a shop manual for my bike. I will most certainly do this in the very near future. In the mean time I am great full for the help.
                  You should be able to find one on here for free pretty easily. That's how I got mine.
                  sigpic
                  "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Welcome to KR
                    THE DOC
                    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                    mistake when you make it again.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome!!!
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

welcome
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                          Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                          MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                          sigpic

Comment

This looks like an excellent site & source for all things Katana. I look forward to sharing & possibly helping others equally as much as learning & adopting new ideas & techniques in the future. This appears to be a great place both to learn & perhaps meet new friends & fellow riders. Thanks again to all for the warm welcome & info. I can "see clearly" now, & if I have any "bright ideas" in the future I will surely post them for some one else's "illumination". Too soon for the bad puns? I'll hold off until I'm better known & at least a few of you are familiar with me & my sometimes not so humorous humor. In the mean time, as always; Imightberiding... Cheers!

Comment

Go Canucks!!!!!!!! Welcome to the KR family!
                              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                              ------------------------------------------
                              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                              X