X

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!

Well it seems that I finally have my bike up and running as well as it did back in February before it got smashed by a pizza guy. I cranked it up after getting the tank back on and it was running like ass, seemed like only on 2. Sounded like a tractor. Couldn't get the revs above 4k. I didn't have much gas in their, and thought maybe I was only feeding one side, so I went and got another gallon, added it. Cranked it, same thing. I gassed it real quick, big pop, big ass flame shoots out the tailpipe, and now it's running fine. It's rainy here, but hopefully I can get out for a ride this afternoon. I'm so relieved to have it running again. Not that it's running spectacularly, but that's something I can work on if I'm at least getting enjoyment out of riding it.
    What the deuce!?!

do the spit test on the pipes and let us know which cylinders it's not firing on if it happens again. Will help narrow down what's going on. Otherwise, good to hear it's back on the road.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

If it'll run , go fer a ride .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well I rode the bike to work today and it's definitely not running well. It's got to be missing 2 of the four, cause it sounds like a damn tractor goin down the road. Holding a steady throttle at any rev results in this poor performance, often with unintended surges of accel/deccel. If you gun it hard, the sound changes to a normal sounding engine and it pulls hard, almost as if there's a fuel delivery problem that's solved when I gas it hard. Also, I didn't have this problem when I ran off the auxiliary tank for syncing the carbs, so that further points to fuel delivery rather than something in the engine or a clogged carb. I did rebuild the fuel petcock before reinstalling the tank, but the pilot position flowed fuel through both tubes equally and easily, and the flow cut off when switching to the ON/RESERVE positions. I guess I could have installed the plastic plate in the rubber diaphragm in the petcock backwards, which might have an effect on operation under vacuum. Another option is a bad routing on one of the fuel hoses. I installed inline filters, but their size resulted in some tricky routing and the fuel line is higher than the petcock exit in places. Could the vacuum from the carb not be enough to overcome this slight height difference? I dunno, I guess I'll have to start checking stuff out, but am welcome to any suggestions.

Also, it seems that my tail light and plate lights remain on even with the bike off and the key out. Probably have a screwy connection.
        What the deuce!?!

Comment

as I asked before, do a spit test and tell us which two cylinders are out when it's running like crap. IF it's 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 check your breather lines coming off the carbs. If one is kinked, it'll basically knock out those 2 cylinders and run like a bag of crap.
          http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

Yeah, I'll do that this weekend possibly. My wife's in town for 2 weeks so I don't want to waste time with her on the bike. But I did NOT think about a breather hose kink causing a problem. I know they were interfering with the tank sitting down properly when i put on the tank, so maybe one of them is kinked. I have them routed over the airbox and down the back of the airbox through those plastic clip areas. Is this the corrrect routing? Thanks for the tip though. I appreciate it.

bama
            What the deuce!?!

Comment

Working...
            X