Got my chain and sprocket kit!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZukiFred
    Originally posted by skasner
    you can get a Motion Pro "toolbox" size chain rivet tool off of bikebandit.com for like $11.50 man. don't let anyone talk you into dropping 90/100/etc on it.
    I would be vary Interested in a link or a picture of that rivet tool if you have it Skas..
    mine should be here by the end of the week (i hope)...

hopefully this will get the job done.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Well I got a bicycle chain breaker from a buddy to try. The pin looked like it was the right size but the entire thing in general was too small. I tried grinding it down so it fit over the chain but by the time I was done there was so little metal left I figured it would never work. Even then, it still didn't fit right. I was able to get it enough of the ways in w/ vice grips that I could put the rear wheel on and tighten the front sprocket. I'm going to put it on the trailer and take it to the shop and see if they will finish it off. If that doesn't work I'm going to see if I can get a new clip style master link locally. I will never get a rivet chain again. This SUCKS

Comment

You do NOT want to run a clip-on style master link!

They will come off on you if you don't "glue" them in place. A chain coming off on you at speed is definately not a good thing.

A lot of shops will press the link for you for minimal cash if you bring it to them already together like you have it. Some have done it for free.

Buying the tool is a one time expense and if you plan to keep riding and changing out chains... it is worth it in the long run.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by Court93Kat
          You do NOT want to run a clip-on style master link!

They will come off on you if you don't "glue" them in place. A chain coming off on you at speed is definately not a good thing.

A lot of shops will press the link for you for minimal cash if you bring it to them already together like you have it. Some have done it for free.

Buying the tool is a one time expense and if you plan to keep riding and changing out chains... it is worth it in the long run.
          Put on correctly with the closed end of the master link clip at the front of the chain travel it will not come off....I have two late 70;s KZs and a CM 400 with RK non o-ring chains on them and they work just fine...mind you not as smooth as an o-ring...

Comment

***CORRECTION***

Do NOT buy the chain tool I posted a link for if you have a rivet style chain. It was not what I was expecting, and instead this particular tool is designed to help install clip-on master links.

On a side note, I eneded up just slapping a clip master link on mine again since I didn't have the proper tool to put the rivet link on. Eventually I'll ride it over to the stealership and have them swap out master links for a rivet one... but i'm in no hurry since I've been using clip ones since I got my kat.
            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Comment

[Edit] Double Posted [/Edit]

Comment

I feel spending money on tools is an investment-type expense. Being able to step back and look at the work done right by my own hand is reward enough.

The Motion Pro Chain Break can be used with a nickle and BB to rivet a chain quite effectively, however if you are in a bind.

It cost around $35 instead of the $134 I paid for my RK Chain Riveter.

Oh, and Fred, bolt cutters work for cutting the old chain without the time and energy of using the Dremel.

Comment

I used a grinder to get my old chain off. Took about 5 seconds.

I ended up going to a local shop and they riveted the chain for $26. I would've bought the tool but like I said before I didn't have any extra $ and I had to have it done because my buddy was coming in from out of town.

Comment

I cut off my old chains with a die grinder.
                    to install the rivets, I have a block of steel that fits in my vice and I lay the chain on it with the pins facing up.....then I whack the suckers with a hammer and a punch. works sweet.

oops......forget my method. I forgot to mention that the last 2 chains I installed were on bikes with the swingarm already off. you can't do it this way unless you can somehow pick the whole bike up and fit it in the vice.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I am halfway finishing my chain riveter I'm making. I'm thinking of letting cp look at it first to see if it is ok. Looking at selling them for arounf 50 bucks. Let you guys know soon. I've been so busy working I haven't had time for anything.

Comment

lets see it

Comment

Working...
                        X