No announcement yet.
X

Brake bleeding/flushing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can ge those syringes in 20 and 60 cc's. I "obtained" one from work, (the 60) I will be trying this tonight. Might as well, no helmet yet, cant ride, might as well get her up and running well.

Comment

Did a search on this page, and Cyber did mention eye protection, albiet in passing. Having splashed the smallest amount of brake fluid in my eyes, I can tell you it BURNS.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION!
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Great article. Helped me today...Thanks

Comment

Excellent article.

Just replaced the front 3 line set-up on my 2002 GSX600F with a HEL 2 line SS braided set.

WOW how the hell did I ride it with such crappy brakes before? And that's without a full caliper strip or new pads.

One question though; in the kit was included a SS braided line for the rear which I fully intend to change, however one of the banjo bolts has a finer thread than the others (discovered this whilst trying to screw it into the front caliper ).

Before I waste new fluid on trying to fit the new rear line can anyone confirm/deny that one of the rear unions has a different (finer) thread than all the others?

Also now I have removed the 'splitter' should I think about getting a bracket to hold the new lines in place?
          Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Yes, I am pretty sure that on the rear brake, one of the bolts (on the master cyl side I think) has a different thread pitch.

I used an insulted clamp that you can find in the electrical section of most home improvement stores to hold the lines, and mounted the clamp right where the block used to be.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks

EDIT: FYI it's the rear caliper that has a different thread, wierd, but there ya go

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit
                Thanks

EDIT: FYI it's the rear caliper that has a different thread, wierd, but there ya go
                Hmm I'm guessing that is a 98+ thing. (reason 5,248,673 to stay away from them! )

About the front lines. Did you run two from the MC then to each caliper?
                I ran spiral-wrap around them to tidy them up. It also adds extra abrasion protection.

The reason I ask about the lines is based on the bends at the banjo fittings I wonder if the lines were designed to run:
                One line from MC to right caliper, right caliper to left caliper.
                (using the double union on the right caliper) I have seen super bikes run this set up and the lines length is right for it..

Comment

Yeah, checked with my HEL supplier, he confirmed they are designed to run both from the MC to each caliper.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    Originally posted by grumpyoldgit
                    Thanks

Hmm I'm guessing that is a 98+ thing. (reason 5,248,673 to stay away from them! )

About the front lines. Did you run two from the MC then to each caliper?
                    I ran spiral-wrap around them to tidy them up. It also adds extra abrasion protection.

The reason I ask about the lines is based on the bends at the banjo fittings I wonder if the lines were designed to run:
                    One line from MC to right caliper, right caliper to left caliper.
                    (using the double union on the right caliper) I have seen super bikes run this set up and the lines length is right for it..
                    Sure about that...? I could have sworn the Pres were the same...
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                      Originally posted by Black_peter
                      Sure about that...? I could have sworn the Pres were the same...
                      Sure about what?
                      I'm confused. I think that all three calipers have the same thread on the pre 98.. I replaced all my lines with SS but while I didn't replace the fronts and rears from one pile of parts, I know I didn't pay attention to the MC bolt or the caliper. So if the MC bolt is the same as the caliper I have to guess that the rear caliper is the same as the front. The pre 98 part (per Ron Ayers) is the same for all but the front calipers but that is because the front calipers do not use the union bolt stock.

Comment

Hmmm.. perhaps the difference is this... on the pre 98 all pistons are DOPs... but on the 98+ only the rear is...
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X