X

First Motorcycle Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Motorcycle Help

Hello everyone! I'm looking to purchase my first motorcycle and I was hoping for a little help. I've never ridden a bike before and after a lot of kicking the can around, I've decided to make the purchase. My wife isn't too thrilled, but she did give me the go ahead.

Anyway, I've read that the 600cc Katana was a great starter biker and I managed to find one a couple miles away that's for sale. I have a couple questions and was hoping some of you might be able to help.

It's a 2005 with 4,000 miles. Apparently it was left at a rental property by the owner about 2 years ago and was seized by the landlord as reimbursement for non-payment of the rent.

The seller has the paperwork from the courts giving him ownership of the bike and does have the title. So everything looks legit there. He told me the bike was sitting for about 2 years because he doesn't ride. I guess about 2 weeks ago he took it to the local Suzuki dealership and had it gone over by the shop. They replaced all the fluids, performed all the maintenance and gave it a clean bill of health. He also has paperwork indicating it's "inspection ready".

He said he couldn't have it inspected because he doesn't have it registered and has no insurance on the bike, which makes sense.

The bike is in awesome shape and doesn't have a mark on it anywhere. He want's $3,200 for it, which seems to be about $100 over the KBB and NADA prices I've found.

What does everyone think? Sorry for the excessively long post.

Thanks!

2500 is a fair price. Tires will be old and hard and needing replaced. It would be good to see a full list of items done by the dealership to determine what is left to do right. I'll bet the dealer ship didn't clean the carbs right either.

Comment

Walk in with$ 2800 cash and see what happens. Alway haggle. You'd be supprised how loud cash talks.
      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I'll see if I can get a list of exactly what the dealer did from the seller this evening. I'm having a friend look the bike over because I don't know anything about them.

Does anyone think the 600 is going to be too big for a first bike?

And on a side note, is it normal to be pretty apprehensive about riding a motorcycle for the first time? I've been bombarded by friends and family telling me I'm an idiot and it's too dangerous, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I'm at the point in my life (33) where I think I'm mature enough to behave myself and not act like an idiot.

Comment

I'd haggle with the guy to try and get the price down some, but sounds like a decent deal to me.

Inspecting the chain/sprockets for condition (if they are worn and need replaced, point that out). Check the tire dates... anything over 5 years old should be replaced, no matter how "good" the tread looks).

Those are a couple of things to point out right off that can help to "drop" their price.

Tires are around $300-400 mounted, and chain/sprocket around $300 mounted (by a shop).

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
            I'll see if I can get a list of exactly what the dealer did from the seller this evening. I'm having a friend look the bike over because I don't know anything about them.

Does anyone think the 600 is going to be too big for a first bike?

And on a side note, is it normal to be pretty apprehensive about riding a motorcycle for the first time? I've been bombarded by friends and family telling me I'm an idiot and it's too dangerous, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I'm at the point in my life (33) where I think I'm mature enough to behave myself and not act like an idiot.
            No, you're not stupid for wanting to ride. Anyone who tells you otherwise is ignorant. And no, this 600 is not too big. 80 HP and 500 lbs is not a crotch rocket. Still has plenty of power to be fun, but it's NOT a wheely popping superbike. Matter of fact, you have to work super hard to get it to wheely.

Just remember, any bike is fast enough to kill you. Just ride your own pace and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn
              Inspecting the chain/sprockets for condition (if they are worn and need replaced, point that out). Check the tire dates... anything over 5 years old should be replaced, no matter how "good" the tread looks).
              I've done some reading about the chains and sprockets and I'm pretty sure I know what to look for based on some pictures I've found.

As for the tires, I'm looking for the last 4 digits, which are week and year, is that correct?

Originally posted by Kreylyn
              Tires are around $300-400 mounted, and chain/sprocket around $300 mounted (by a shop).

Krey
              Knowing those prices will help a lot. Thanks Krey.

Originally posted by 05RedKat600
              And no, this 600 is not too big. 80 HP and 500 lbs is not a crotch rocket. Still has plenty of power to be fun, but it's NOT a wheely popping superbike. Matter of fact, you have to work super hard to get it to wheely.
              No wheelies for me, that's for sure. I'm looking for something that's quick, but not insane, so the 600 sounds perfect.

Originally posted by 05RedKat600
              Just remember, any bike is fast enough to kill you. Just ride your own pace and have fun.
              From my reading, I'll be taking the MSF course before leaving a parking lot and I'm buying full gear from head to toe. I have a budget set aside of $1,000 for the gear. I'd wrap myself in bubble wrap if it would actually do any good.

I've also read that riding like you're invisible and that everyone is trying to kill you is the best way to go. Hopefully being mature, aware and protected will allow me to mitigate the dangers to an "acceptable" level. I have a feeling that my family only sees the guys doing 120 on the expressway, weaving in and out of traffic wearing shorts and sandals.

Thanks to everyone so far for the help. It's really nice to find a forum where noobs aren't treated like 2nd class citizens.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
                I've done some reading about the chains and sprockets and I'm pretty sure I know what to look for based on some pictures I've found.

As for the tires, I'm looking for the last 4 digits, which are week and year, is that correct?

Knowing those prices will help a lot. Thanks Krey.

No wheelies for me, that's for sure. I'm looking for something that's quick, but not insane, so the 600 sounds perfect.

From my reading, I'll be taking the MSF course before leaving a parking lot and I'm buying full gear from head to toe. I have a budget set aside of $1,000 for the gear. I'd wrap myself in bubble wrap if it would actually do any good.

I've also read that riding like you're invisible and that everyone is trying to kill you is the best way to go. Hopefully being mature, aware and protected will allow me to mitigate the dangers to an "acceptable" level. I have a feeling that my family only sees the guys doing 120 on the expressway, weaving in and out of traffic wearing shorts and sandals.

Thanks to everyone so far for the help. It's really nice to find a forum where noobs aren't treated like 2nd class citizens.
                You're off to a good start. That alone puts you in the 99th percentile of smart riders. You'll be fine.

Comment

One other stupid question about gear. As for the pants, can you throw them on over your jeans / shorts or are they worn in place of your normal pants? I want actual riding pants over jeans just because I've read you get more protection. I was hoping you could just throw them on over your normal clothes and then take them off when you get to work.

Or do you think I would be better off with the suits they sell? I'm looking for as much protection as possible.

Comment

I believe most of the textile pants are made to go over your regualr pants. Don't know if there are leather ones like that or not...
                    Could get a pair of chaps?
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Bike sounds like a decent deal...

As for you being stupid or not....

You have the right attitude towards riding. You are looking for a decent bike that is rideable but not too much, and you waited becasue you have respect for the dangers in riding. You will be fine.

Taking the MSF is a great idea, it cannot be recommended enough.

As already stated, take your time, find your confort zone, and ride within it. And gear is always a good idea... You are well on your way. good luck and ride safe.
                      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

everyone always says no wheelies when they are buying that first 1

Comment

Awesome. I have an appointment with the seller at 7pm tonight so my buddy can go over the bike and possibly give it a test ride.

I'll let you all know how I make out. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Comment

Well, she's all mine. I picked her up this morning, got the title work done, had her inspected and she is ready to go. I ran out of time to buy my gear because all of the stores were closing, so no riding today for me. It's not a big deal because it's all wet outside anyway. I'll go shopping tomorrow and see what I can find.

Now all I need is a parking lot to practice in if it's sunny out. I also need to sign up for the MSF.

Comment

a great tip is watch TON of youtube videos to help understand the basics... one off the top of my head is captaincrashidaho ... has some good how to's

Motorcycle tutorial videos focusing on basic and advanced skills. Capt Crash is also the author of "Motorcycles, Life and..." as well as "The Elemental Motorcyclist" both books published by www.roaddogpub.com
                              Last edited by mstngsrule68; 08-06-2011, 05:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
                              2004 marauder 800

Comment

Working...
                              X