X

Chain too tight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain too tight?

I bought my katana a few months ago and finally got around to tighten the chain. There was a total of about 5 inches of play in it. While riding there wasn't anything that would scream out to me that the chain was so loose (I guess, as I'm new to motorcycles). After cleaning the lubing the chain multiple times I measured the play and it was so much. I looked up to see how much there should be and it was between 0.8-1.3 inches. I tightened the chain to a tension of 1.25 in total play WITHOUT my weight on the bike. My questions are:

1. Should I be measuring the chain's play while someone my weight is sitting on the bike or is it with no extra weight added?

2. When the bike is on the center stand and I roll the wheel with my hand, you can hear the links as they go over the sprockets... Is this normal? You can also hear it when I'm sitting on the bike and rolling forwards or backwards.

3. Seems like the bike's suspension is tighter - is this due to the chain being too tight?

4. This is the one that worries me the most. Last night after tightening the chain, I took her out for a spin. Once I get into 3rd gear and hammer it, at about 8-9k RPM's something isn't catching. The RPM's will shoot up and the bike won't go any faster. This type of thing would happen before I tightened the chain BUT it would hardly ever happen and not to that degree. It happened 3-4 times last night and really worried me because I don't want to screw anything up. Would it be the tranny, clutch, chain and sprockets? I don't know.

Thanks for your help guys and gals!

Clutch is slipping.

Some chain noise is normal.

Make sure you dont have a link binding up as it comes off the rear sprocket.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks Scotty.

Would a bound up link cause the clutch to slip? I don't understand why it would start to do it that much when I tightened the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Duddy View Post
        Thanks Scotty.

Would a bound up link cause the clutch to slip? I don't understand why it would start to do it that much when I tightened the chain.
        Not really, but with so much driveline slack it may have made it must less noticeable when it slips.

Also could need the clutch cable adjusted. But no, thenchain and clutch aren't mechanically related.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Adjust the chain slack with the suspension loaded, on side stand.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Interesting that you posted this. How would I know when it's time for a new chain and sprocket?

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

Also could need the clutch cable adjusted.
              Would I tighten it then?

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
              Adjust the chain slack with the suspension loaded, on side stand.
              So my chain is too tight? I tightened it with no load...
              Last edited by Duddy; 03-26-2011, 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by twizz View Post
                Interesting that you posted this. How would I know when it's time for a new chain and sprocket?
                When the sprockets look something like this... New on the top, old on the bottom..

and the chain looks something like this..

Both perfect examples of not properly lubricating, adjusting and cleaning your chain.

And note the broken roller on the chain.. now look at the sprocket.. the teeth do not look worn, an old chain on a new sprocket will wear out a sprocket real fast. This is why you replace all 3 pieces of the drive line at the same time.
                Last edited by GSXFJim; 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM.
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by Duddy View Post
                  Would I tighten it then?

So my chain is too tight? I tightened it with no load...

Probably. When you put the weight of the bike on the suspension, that's where you want to set your slack. No weight will make it too tight, if you sat on it and adjusted it would make it too loose.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                    When the sprockets look something like this...
                    ...and long before this:

And dang... 5" of slack??? That's a hell of a lot... it was drooping down? I don't know why your suspension would feel tighter... could it just be that the throttle has a different feel?

Chains stretch when they are old, so either your axle adjustments were way off, or the chain has stretched and should be replaced! (if you replace it, remember to replace the sprockets at the same time)
                    Last edited by foxox; 03-26-2011, 09:01 PM. Reason: bad word O:-)

Comment

damn.. i hope thats not yours fox!
                      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                        damn.. i hope thats not yours fox!
                        That's how it was when I first bought my bike! I rode on it a couple of times before I knew better and the chain slipped right over the sprocket while pulling away from stops CLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNKCLUNK CLUNK

Comment

Damn.. I don't think I've ever seen one that bad before...
                          '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks for the pics, they definitely helped out. I'm in the process of the overall seasonal check up on the bike before i start riding this year. Oh yea and damn! If that was on anyone's bike, shame on them! I'm no expert but i would've damn sure known that is NO GOOD! LOL
                            Last edited by twizz; 03-27-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

foxox - incredible. I can't believe it would even move at all.
                              good 'don't let this happen to you pics'
                              sigpic
                              Pepe Bouchard

Comment

Working...
                              X