X

Carb problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb problems

Hi everyone, So I bought a project bike the other day and i am fairly new to motorcycles. I went to clean the carbs and they are immaculate. The air restrictor in the middle is almost closed and im not positive but i think that might be it. When i start up the motorcycle it revs up to 6k and dies. any ideas?

Originally posted by spencer2362 View Post
    Hi everyone, So I bought a project bike the other day and i am fairly new to motorcycles. I went to clean the carbs and they are immaculate. The air restrictor in the middle is almost closed and im not positive but i think that might be it. When i start up the motorcycle it revs up to 6k and dies. any ideas?
    Air restrictor in the middle???

Do you mean the butterflies? Or are you talking about something different?

Have the carbs been synced?

Do you have fuel in the oil? (smell it for gas)

Are the clamps on boots 2 & 3 that clamp the carbs onto the engine on the "outside" away from the middle where the throttle cable is?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      Air restrictor in the middle???

Do you mean the butterflies? Or are you talking about something different?

Have the carbs been synced?

Do you have fuel in the oil? (smell it for gas)

Are the clamps on boots 2 & 3 that clamp the carbs onto the engine on the "outside" away from the middle where the throttle cable is?

Krey
      Sorry ya I meant the butterflies. I figured 3&4 aren't in sync. The screw that tensions the rod for the butterflies on 3&4 on the throttle cable is loose and wont tighten down anymore. Unsure if i should take the spring off and tighten it so then they function in sync. Oil doesnt smell like gas. And clamps aren't near the cable.

Also its weird it doesnt get stuck it just idles funny and has a really long delay when you rev it.
      Last edited by spencer2362; 08-20-2017, 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's called a hanging idle, revs high then slowly drops. I would sync first. Then go from there. I think allot of carb idle issues are sync issues.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          It's called a hanging idle, revs high then slowly drops. I would sync first. Then go from there. I think allot of carb idle issues are sync issues.
          Alright, Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X