X

would it be better to part out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would it be better to part out?

i guess i fubarbed a bearing in my 2003 katana 600. It only had 2002 miles on it. Everyone is telling me to replace the engine and it is going to cast me about $1500. would it be cheaper to just part it out and buy another one?
    i can do all things with christ who strenghtens me

You talking about parting out the whole bike or just the motor?

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Fix It !

Gawd.
      "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

the whole bike, i don't really have the money to fix right now. i also don't have the know how.
        i can do all things with christ who strenghtens me

Comment

Well you are at the right place if you want to find out how to fix it. The first thing you might want to do is buy a shop manual...then look up the "bearing" you think you blew...then come back here and ask a bunch of questions and hopefully you'll get enought responses that you will be able to be back on the road in fairly short period of time...
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Fix It!!!If you cant do it now wait....Youll regret selling it cheap...

Comment

Fix it

8) Go for the fix man. You can find a used motor pretty cheap on ebay or on this site. Get you a manual and read the posts on this site. There's alot of guys here that will help you through it and they are sharp, they know their business. Hang in there and ( get er dun)

Comment

Keep it as noted and take this as your excuse to put a really hyped engine in it.

Comment

Re: would it be better to part out?

Originally posted by listoa69
                  would it be cheaper to just part it out and buy another one?
                  I'd fix the engine. Parting it out and trying to buy something with that cheddar would be taking a step back, doubt you'd get something near as nice as what you have, even with it's dead motor.

Try to save up and have someone with a good reputation repair it, or try to do it yourself. Don't be intimidated, you've already found this awesome resource, and it's times like these where most of us learned what we now know. Usually for me I either had to learn how to fix it, or it was gonna stay broken. Being short on funds kinda does that to you.
                  YOU CAN DO EEETTT!!!
                  '01 TL1000R

Comment

Originally posted by UH60FXR
                    Keep it as noted and take this as your excuse to put a really hyped engine in it.
                    Yeah , why not procure a freash engine . MUCH cheaper than the $1500 to have it fixed . Prolly get a good engine for less than $600 ....
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

buy a second bike with a title from ebay swap engines and bild a second bike to sell

Comment

Fix it, you may find it easyer than you think.
                        I am new on here and have learned so much more already just reading all the bumf.
                        Any way hope you get it sorted but don't sell it cheap as somone else will fix it and have all your fun.

BIG BILL
                        FAT FIT AND FAST.

Comment

if it was me,i would fix it myself.but GET a manual.

Comment

I can't believe none of you have suggested throwing a 1127 in there.

If i wasn't so anal about changing my oil/adjusting my valves i'd already had done the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by thecynic
                              I can't believe none of you have suggested throwing a 1127 in there.
                              Ok.Throw an 1127 in there.
                              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Working...
                              X