X

My Gel seat pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Gel seat pics

Here is where I traced out the gel pattern and cut out the entire foam through the pan

After the piece is popped out I cut the thickness of the gel (5/8") off the top of the foam, it's easier to slice it than dig it out.

I replaced the wedges and reglued everything back down.

Inserted the gel pads and glued them the best I could.
    On the back I used a bicycle one and the rest of what I cut off the front one since it was pretty spendy. ($48)

I chose to use 2" memory foam because the kits for these gel pads had 1/2" memory foam listed. I wanted to widen my seat a bit and a little more padding.

Glued the foam on and sculpted it and tapered it with a electric knife which works WONDERFUL!

The final product with new marine vinyl installed

I lost a little bit of the curves of the seat but when you sit on it they return you to pretty much oem ergos since I tapered to them instead of padding them the full 2". Man the "boys" really feel comfy up next to the tank now.
    Last edited by kevin2502000; 08-27-2009, 09:44 PM.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Looks great! Every time I see one of these threads at some point during the night I end up on ebay looking for another seat to attempt this with.

How does it ride?
    '01 Katana 750
    '96 Ninja 250 (sold, but got every penny I put into it, back out!)
    '83 Porsche 944

Comment

Originally posted by T.Bird View Post
      Looks great! Every time I see one of these threads at some point during the night I end up on ebay looking for another seat to attempt this with.

How does it ride?

Haven't tested it yet, just finished tonight. I redid a "practice" seat a week ago with just 2" HD foam and it was better but after 40 minutes felt a little hard. The gel is suppossed to absorb all the shock and the memory foam more cushion and support. Might get a ride tomorrow...........

On my spare seat, I'm thinking of trying to make a touring seat. Where the separation for the front and back is, I was thinking of building it up high enough for some lower back support. Think of it as cowl made out of the seat.
      Last edited by kevin2502000; 08-27-2009, 11:29 PM.
      Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Looks good. Let us know how it works out after riding.

Comment

Always wondered what it would look like. Nice work, good pictures. I also like the matching crocs to the bike, haha.

Comment

Nicely done.

I paid about $300 for a custom seat. It is a great seat but when I too see thread like these it makes me feel like I could do it as well.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
            X